Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHOPPED TOPS = DEATH TRAP...roof escape.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mai Ki-Ki, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Hot rods are dangerous?!!!!!? Now what am I gonna do?!?

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

top? whats that?huhuhuhuh.

3. I guess I'd be screwed if I rolled the roach rod over 'cause the doors are welded shut! How will I get out if it's upside down!!??
    Sam.

4. quickrod

quickrod

yea fuck,your right,shit...now i gotta put a 12 pointcage,airbags,discbrakes,and crush bumpers on my T.....FUCK!!

5. Assdragger

Assdragger

Hey Kenny, The Mexico show is no more! [​IMG] It takes alot to put on a good show and I think they were all burned out.

6. Just making a point guys...If it dosen't seem like common sense to you... no probs...I didn't realise a removable roof insert would be considered wussy...

signed

MAIKI ("i don't wanna die) KI.

Now back to my Bubble

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Don't put a floor in it...gives you an easy way out...as well as a functional 'trash port'!!

8. [ QUOTE ]
    ... i think he's a good dude loves the magpies too whatever that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

It means he's a Collingwood Football Club supporter and therefore universally hated by everyone else in Australia except other Magpie supporters. [​IMG]

Next time you see him say... "Carn the Blues!!!"

That'll get him going. LOL

9. quickrod

quickrod

brootal,will do [​IMG]he also says you got some dude down there named "chopper reed?"sposed to be some crazy badass or something?and oh yea maiki-ki,im just bustin balls,actually any idea is a good one in one way or another ain't it? run with it bro.

10. so Assdragger- I didnt know they[streetmasters] gave it up- It was at least 25 years of that Mexico show though right?The Buzzards at Macon have done that old run that long and we were started after them as a club..........

11. Leon

Leon

[ QUOTE ]
    The part about the chop and door handles being removed happened here in Mo, several years ago . Seems a young guy in a model a-[chopped] [with removed handles], ran off the road rendering him unconsious/The car burnt ,with him in it- cause no one could open the doors or get him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do with the modern "safer" cars that lock the doors as soon as you drive forward? Half the cars sold new have that feature. A rock can be used to unlock a door to get them out.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Just don't run seatbelts. That way you'll hit the steering column and get impaled. Escape won't even be a worry then. Plus all the Rockasillies will think you're hardcore.

13. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive thought about this for a long time. I think it just comes down to one of those things ya know? I have crawled out of up side-down cars before, its no fun at all. Definetly changed my life, and I was pretty lucky. But remember that once in a while even new cars are even in accidents where the passengers cant get out on thier own. and with all theses "side impact" reinforcements and crumple zones and all, A model A is more of tin can compared to a new lincoln or something... Crashing sucks, drive smart and safe guys! -J.

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I had a buddy who got killed in a 427 Vette. It wasn't chopped but after he rolled it you couldn't get your fingers in the slot that used to be the driver's door window and the passenger side wouldn't even show light thru the crack. He didn't burn, but what was left after the rollover wouldn't have been able to crawl out the door even after they used the "Jaws of Life" to open it. His seat belt snapped and they found him folded up under the dash and steering column. Having said that, I think you have a good idea. Making trunk lids that can be easily opened from the inside might just save a kid or two also. I had a neighbor kid who locked herself into my rumble seat once playing hide and seek. Luckily the other kids heard her and came and got me to let her out. I've kept rumble seats locked ever since.

15. My windshield will be the same size as a stock 37-39 ford,just laid back to about 45 degrees.
    I'm sure I could kick the passengers side out if I had to.
    But I'll probably never get it on the road,so it doesn't matter.

16. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Far be it for me to be the one to state the obvious here but I think that you are making this too complicated. The best solution here is the most simple. Put a fire extinguisher in the cab somewhere. I mean those folks might have survived had they had one and if you were ever in a wreck that didn't end in a fire you are purely at the mercy of the integrity of the structure of your rod anyways. So build it stout, put in good seatbelts and install a fire-putter-outer.

2 cents, done.

(does that make me the first person to steal from a that cellular ad?)

17. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Whats life, with out danger? (boring)

18. Who said i didn't like danger? (you been talking to mum?)

Maybe i'll line the interior with barbed wire..and be done with it.

cheers
    MAIKI [​IMG]

19. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Now your talking.

20. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Thats the main reason I don't care for shaved door handles. If your hurt and nobody can figure out how the doors open you're in trouble. If a large rootbeer with no lid from the drive-in won't pass through the window its chopped too much.

21. DrJ

DrJ

You guys who are worried about a crash and burn in a car should all ride motorcycles on Los Angeles Freeways for the rest of your short lives...

If you're destined to drown, you'll never hang!

22. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

why would anyone want to crash their hotrod in the first place? oh no just .. ok reality... id say if i crash and dont get impaled by all steering parts and an engine up my balls i'd be lucky...

23. There goes to show, hotrodders are´nt just cool, the´re brave too.....

24. You ever seen those lumberjack competitions w/ the Hot Saws? You know, the ones that run like 125 cc dirtbike engines.

Pick up a Sawzall, rig that sucker up w/ a 125 cc to run on gas, keep it on the passenger side of your rod for upside down types of "emergencies."

Seriously though, I never really thought about this. I guess it's a valid concern.

25. this is a true story as fucked up as it sounds. i know an old timer here that still runs model A's. he has a 32 5 window now thats unchopped. it's a $50,000 street rod. but it's nice. anyway he sold his car unexpectantly a couple of years ago( he priced ir for someone at a show and they bought the damn thing, it was another 32 5 window) when he was looking to replace it he came across a few that still had the soft top in them and he wouldn't even concider them, wouldn't even look. so i asked his wife of 50 years what the deal was. well when he was 18 years old , he's about 70 now, he was riding with his cousin in a hopped up model a. they were doing about a hundred when the road turned from gravel to pavment. when the car hit the pavment it bounced so hard that he actually went through the soft top and landed on the pavement. well, it almost killed him. one side of his face is drooped down and he talks a little funny and i'd always figured he'd had a stroke, well come to find out it was from that accident. now the point of all this is, if you put some kind of soft top or hatch in your roof you'd better strap in.

26. quickrod

quickrod

my buddy from australia just told me to tell him,"if he doesn't go paddock bashing with the ute,he'll be alright"what the fuck does that mean?{you dudes talk funny man}rubber down metal up...im out quickrod

27. =mike=

=mike=

[ QUOTE ]
    Who said i didn't like danger? (you been talking to mum?)

Maybe i'll line the interior with barbed wire..and be done with it.

cheers
    MAIKI [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am making a Kustom steering wheel out of barbed wire , should look good and really grip the road . . .

28. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Just make sure you have enough cyanide casules for everyone on board = problem solved.

The way I look at it, after the amount of effort it took to put together, if I ever crash it THAT hard....I'll be praying I go out with it. [​IMG]

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

don't chop the top more than your waist size can fit through or lose weight!
    oh yeah, and carry a fire extinguisher

30. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Fire supression systems work well in race cars and could be adapted to street car without being an eyesore.