Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHOPPED TOPS = DEATH TRAP...roof escape.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mai Ki-Ki, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Ok, I'm planning my new PickUp Projects atm...getting ready to collect bits and pieces...And since it will sport about a 6 or so inch chop on a 38 ford cab, was Wondering how many of you guys could actually get out of your rod if you had a bad enough accident to jam the doors shut on impact..

It happened here in OZ not that long ago, and we lost two local rodders to a fire.

Just food for thought...I sure as hell couldn't slide out throught the side windows of most rods....

anyone else have roof escape kinda things?????

cheers
    MAIKI

2. I'd be fucked.
    Of course with most of the chops I've seen around here (Spokane) the roof would come off if it got hit hard at all [​IMG]

3. roof insert maybe?

4. Yeah forgot to say, thats what i'll be running...a pop out roof insert....

MAIKI

5. Spike!

Spike!

I often thought about that. My five window has a 6" chop and there is no way in Hell I could fit through any one of the five without an accident.. At least I wouldn't ever fly through the windshield... [​IMG]

Spike

6. If you have pre 37 cab you can use the windshield escape routeen,
    I'd reinforce the cab if your worried about it.
    IN OZ can you reall drive your rods at 150mph in the open roads?

7. Lurkin Nate

Lurkin Nate

Jeez roadeters are sounding like a good idea. A snap down insert or a sliding section of some sort would do the trick and nice for sunny days.

8. I'll be running only say 7 inches of windsheild..even if i kicked that out, my sorry ass 'aint getting out!

[​IMG]

9. The accident that Maiki is referring to did not involve excessive speed. The car clipped a tree which tore the front left wheel off, it then ended up against a fence.

The passenger's door could not be opened because the body was resting on the ground (RHD remember) and the driver's door was hard up against a fence.

I've always liked the look of a roof insert myself, although, you then have the added danger of debris getting into the passenger compartment in the event of a rollover.

I think the trick is to just not have an accident!

10. quickrod

quickrod

if your really worried about it,you could put a"funny car" type hatch that hinges forward and latches closed from the inside with a dzus type fastener .man you dudes in wanker land must drive them things with the pedal through the fire walls huh?......cool..........quickrod

11. Chevy

Chevy

[ QUOTE ]
    if your really worried about it,you could put a"funny car" type hatch that hinges forward and latches closed from the inside with a dzus type fastener .man you dudes in wanker land must drive them things with the pedal through the fire walls huh?......cool..........quickrod

[/ QUOTE ]

Quickrod,
    What do you mean 'Wanker land' you fool? [​IMG]

12. You hold him CHEVY, and i'll "werk him over".

[​IMG]

13. Never really thought about that... having so chopped of a top you couldn't get out in a accident. I think, in most cases other then that roadster being pinned on both sides, is worring about that doors flying open in an accident and flying you out of the car. Most folks I know with older cars don't have seat belts, and those pre 60's cars don't have the safety door latches to keep them from flying open in a crash...

14. old beet

old beet

I'm sure if you crashed bad, your escape route would'nt be damaged. Build a roadster.......OLDBEET

15. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Gee wiz Mai-Ki-Ki,maybe you should give up on the hotrod idea and get a fucking VOLVO.

16. Volvo's are much harder to chop.

So thats just a silly idea.

[​IMG]

17. and BEET.

If i built a roadster, my hair would get mushed.

[​IMG]

18. But Volvos are so cool!

Attached Files:

19. I don't think the "Wanker Land" post was meant to be derogatory, just more of an indication that he knows that we use the word down here. Whether he knows what it means is a different matter. [​IMG]

Like oldbeet said. Build a roadster. I like it. [​IMG]

20. It will be sweeter than a roadster!

38 ford pick up roadsters look silly.

[​IMG]

21. quickrod

quickrod

i got a buddy who lived in melbourne but moved here about 8-10 years ago,now he's a bonifided us citizen.anyhow,he' gets hammerd and starts callin us "bloody wankers"all the time kinda funny i think he's a good dude loves the magpies too whatever that means.anyhow,he says all us guys he rolls with here should go to australia cause the chicks love american men might be worth lookin into [​IMG]

22. Greezy

Greezy

I can see your point on wanting a safe way out in case of a bad wreck. The thing that would bother me the most is the steering column imapaling me. I figure if your car is piled up enuff that you cant get the doors open you probly wouldnt be in any condition to get yourself out anyway. Just an observation. [​IMG]

23. Answer to that...as LOWSQUIRE says..COWL STEERING!

24. Chevy

Chevy

Fair enough quickrod. We've been called a lot of things. I just hadnt heard that one before. Nuf said [​IMG]

Anyway back to Maiki's safety cell. [​IMG]

25. Hey kats,

Just my $0.02 to the post - i think what happend with the rodders that past away earlier this year was a bit of a freak accident. to have both doors jammed is a rare occurance...and i think in reality its not likely to happen too often...after all a rod can rest only on one side at a time. i think a roof insert would be a good way to get out in a hurry...

just a note here: wasnt the fact that the car involved in the acident had shaved door handles add to the fact no one could get them out? im not sure if this is true or rumour.

i guess it comes down to risk and your willingness to accept a certain lever. a rod will never be as safe as a moden car...but it doesnt have to be a death trap either. its the level of compromise every has to end up with...

danny

26. =mike=

=mike=

luckily i have two extra doors to get out of . either that or i can kick my way out if the trunk [​IMG]

27. The part about the chop and door handles being removed happened here in Mo, several years ago . Seems a young guy in a model a-[chopped] [with removed handles], ran off the road rendering him unconsious/The car burnt ,with him in it- cause no one could open the doors or get him out. This story is the basis for the "streetmasters"[Mexico Mo] CAR CLUBS- MEMORIAL SHOW[ NOW INTO ITS 3O YEARS] OR SO. I will no longer remove the handles on a car I build here as a result of my personal fears of such a thing happening- and also in this day of liability concerns.

28. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

This is an eye opener post...

Of course I've heard of guys dieing from suitcases laying in the back seat hitting em in the head in fender benders too... So a lil bit of safety might help in all areas... [​IMG]

29. quickrod

quickrod

you know someone's gonna say it sooner or later so here it goes:if it's your time to go it's your time.personally,if i worried about gettin hurt everytime i made a pass or took a putt,it just would'nt be as much fun or relaxing as it is,but by all means,if YOU feel more comfortable with an escape hatch,then you should definetly do it cause life's to short to stress....ya know me mate?

30. FEDER

FEDER

Well what the Fuck did ya have to bring that up for anyway?
    I have NEVER thought about that !! Ill never look at a chopped car the same now.-Feder