Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopped Top/Bad Back. What to do???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmanolds, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

I've got a 4 inch chop on my model A Sedan and with a bad back it seems to get harder and harder to drive any long periods of time. Seat height to the top of the seat is 7 inches. That is with the adjustable tracks. I need to know what would happen if I removed the buckets and replaced them with a single (bench) seat closer to the floor, (4 inches) and I'd have to keep it adjustable so the wife can drive it. My question would be if I lowered the seat height would it be like sitting on the floor with your legs straight out? If I try it at home in front of the TV it makes my back hurt like hell. I'm making it a winter project but I'd like some thoughts before I start looking for a seat replacement. Oh yeah, the car is not for sale.

2. BLZEEBUB

BLZEEBUB
    from Ireland

I have an O/T vw caddy (pickup); its a cramped cab and Im 6'4; the only way I was going to physically fit in it was to fit low seats; they are 'just above' the floor; they are 'recaro like' seats from a vw corrado.
    I suggest something similar; low 'rear most of the base' (where your ass is) and slightly raised at the front of the seats base; so yer legs are not 'straight out'...
    If you can find a seat like that or one that still slides but is adjustable 'up and down' at the front...
    ...it worked for me, and I drive a heap of miles in it without cramp or pains (and I occasionally suffer from back prob's myself)....

3. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I have a 28 Model A sedan with 4" chopped top. My seats are from a Honda of some sort and are 4 1/2" from the floor to the seat bottom. I have a 4" recessed firewall as well. It is pretty comfortable for long rides. The short ones in traffic are another story because you can not see the traffic lights and must lean forward at every light to see when it is time to go......or just wait for the guy behind you to blow the horn. I wish we were closer, so you could drive my car ans see if it is better for you. I know what it is like to have back issues and sad to say but Hot Rods usually are not much help with that. Good luck with the project.....cool car, Mark

4. HotRod31

HotRod31

I have a 5" chop A coupe that I used a Dodge caravan bench seat with the frame removed. The rear sits on the floor and like BLZEEBUB said the front is raised up to support legs. I also have a bad back & recently made a 9hr trip with no problems.

Later, Mark

5. Danburnsart

Danburnsart
    from 59044

Well I dont have a low-ass hot rod yet, but I do have a bad back, and I know what you're saying about sitting low with your feet kicked out...just looking at people sitting like that make my lumbar twinge! Ideally your knees should be bent at a 90 degree angle, and same for your back when sitting...the most inconvieniant seating position for a hot rod is the safest and most comfortable for your back.