Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chopped roof 1/4 window options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesincharge09, Dec 2, 2015.

1. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys, i have taken on a new project, my 1949 chev styleline. the exterior chop is already done, it was quite the learning experience! anyways ive done a lot of research on chopping my vent windows. i attempted one last night and it turned out so-so. I'm really not happy with it, im sure i can do better but another thing that bugs me is that its somewhat ugly due to how little window is actually left, and how much room the chrome frame and rubber seal take up.
    Anyways Im looking for input on doing solid vent windows and eliminating the huge rubber gasket that surround them, or may even consider ditching them all together and going with 1 piece windows (depending on price)
    What do you guys think?

2. morac41

morac41

Hi Charles...you dont say how much the chop is...show a photo....Ive chopped lots of cars and quarter vent windows have never been a problem...some just require a little extra time to fit properly and get the pivot point correct....also depends whether you want to paint or chrome it , how much time you want to spend on it.....

3. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

I chopped 3" front 6" rear ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449099607.784656.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449099634.745114.jpg

guthriesmith likes this.
  4. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Here is a picture of my failed attempt quarter. I really hate how much area the chrome and rubber takes up

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449099662.175507.jpg

5. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Leave them out looks better that way.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

since they do not need to be functional then use thin open channel to make a frame for custom piece of glass. line frame with thin rubber and glue glass in. one piece door glass is difficult when body has any type of curve at front of door. would need to modify inside of door for straight glass to move up and down.

7. cretin

cretin

I think that vent window looks proper. In my opinion, doing anything but the vent window is going to give the car a more modern appearance that doesn't look proper.
    I also think it's nice to have the functioning vent window. Wether it's true or not, I always view it as when someone takes a pivoting window like that and makes it fixed during a chop, it's because they took the easy way out instead of making things work as intended. That's the impression I always get.
    That being said, if you made it fixed, I think it still needs chrome to keep the classic look. Maybe making a slide in window similar to what people make when hard topping a car, and it gets captured in its slot when the window track is installed?

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

For a traditional custom, that look is perfectly fine! Aesthetically, it looks good, as well.
    Eliminating the vent, and going to one piece glass is very modern looking, as well as a bit of work. You have to remake the door tops, as the vent is at a slight angle from the door glass.

guthriesmith likes this.
  9. Looks good .... you can take an inch out of the bottom, and the difference in the top end, and move the vertical into the A pillar if need be. Nice car.

10. I like the vents. And yours turned out good. Once all the rest of your trim is on they'll blend right in.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a very nice looking chop, hope you keep the vent windows. Bob

12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

As someone else has said, once everything is painted and the rest of the trim is on that vent will blend right in. Looks very traditional to me. Super nice proprtions on the chop by the way.

13. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Thanks guys it was my first complicated chop. Pretty happy with it. I'm going to get another pair of Windows and try again. If that doesn't work I will have fixed vent Windows.

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You nailed that chop. It has a great flow to it. The vent windows look fine. Keep going!

15. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

Anyone have a good thread on chopped 1/4s for a 49-54 chev? I'd like to compare my work to theirs so when I get new Windows I can nail it perfectly