Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopped my top - pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Terry

Terry

After much thought and debate, I finally made the decision and went for it. Marked everything off and pulled out the trusty sawz-all. My buds said I should go 2 1/2 or 3. But looking at my favorite truck (the green 35 with the 5 on the door and 34 grill) I decided what the heck and went 4 1/2. Still think he went more, but I am happy with the 4 1/2.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry

Getting it back together.

Attached Files:

3. Terry

Terry

From the rear.....

Attached Files:

4. Greezy

Greezy

looking good...how do you fit?

5. Terry

Terry

With both doors open....

Attached Files:

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, thats pretty cool, all in three easy steps [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Terry

Terry

I fit really good. I'm 6'4" and if I set on the little wood bench you see in the picture I'm fine. In fact if I turn to look out the back window it is right in line with my eye level. But...I think the channel plan is out the window.

8. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Lookin cool,how bout a little bigger side shot.How hard was the "suicide" doors??

9. Terry

Terry

Here is the best I can do for a side shot. My shop is to small to get far enough back, and the truck is kinda land-locked without any axles.

As for the doors.
    1- I cut out the back door jam on the cab and welded in a peice of flat steel, so the hinges would have a flat surface to bolt to.

2- Did the same to the door

3- Weld angle iron to the door support (the support that orignally stiffened up where the hinges bolted) and to the flat steel at the back of the door (step 2)

4- Mounted the orignal hinges back to the body and door.

Sures sounds a lot easier than it was! [​IMG]

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

great job terry, looks good!

11. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Great job, neat shots!! [​IMG]

12. I am sooooooo cryin! I should be choppin my 36 shivvy but noooooooooooooooooooooooo...I'm cleaning gutters, cutting peonys, reseeding the fuckin lawn, building a deck and ....and........I dunno what else but it sure ain't choppin a pickup! I want to get busy on mine....
    repotting house plants, swapmeeting, snuggling on the couch, playing on the HAMB..............
    IT LOOKS TOTALLY GREAT! Did you contemplate leaning the posts instead of adding a strip in the top? Why didn't you? Inquiring minds must know! Leaning the posts is the direction I think I'll go..
    going to work, going to meetings, helping around the house, fixing the daily drivers, fixing the damn fence and entertaining outa town inlaws...

13. Reminds me of the top chop me and my buddy attemped on my favorite '53 (F-100), we tried leaning the windshield posts, dropped the top 3 1/2" was look'in cool, stood back, decided we didn't have a clue how to cut the windshield, found a donor '55 and put the '53 back stock.

I'm still not sure if I learned anything.

Had alot of fun though.

Flatheads Forever!!!

14. Terry

Terry

Winter is coming and I'll have a lot of spare time on my hands. For some reason the sprinkler biz slows down when the cold wheather hits... anyway give me a cot and throw me a bone once and a while Rocky, and I'll hammer on your Chebby for a while! [​IMG]

As for why I didn't lean the post back. I like the angle of the windshield to match the angle the grill sets. I decided by looking at pictures that a 36 trucks grill does that pretty much factory. So I won't have to modify the grill to match the windshield.

15. truck looks good bro

16. pikesan99

pikesan99

Terry,

You f-ing liar! You told me you had a local pro-shop do all that work for you!

Ha ha.. just kidding.. you're doing a great job Terry.

He's not really 6'4" though.. he's 5-10 and wears 6 inch heals!

17. Terry

Terry

Wow you let out my secert Pike! But at least they are ole school with live goldfish in the heels, and the color matches the ding-gall berries hanging from the brim of my hat!

18. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

pics please!!!! [​IMG]