Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped it.......she's still too tall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 17, 2013.

1. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Before you get too involved with the front end, have you given any thought to a complete front clip swap? A 39/40 Commander front clip would look hella sexy on there. You then would have an easy to finish early custom. Continue with the chop and channel. It would be like doing it to a Studebaker Coupe Express pickup.

[​IMG]

2. Thanks for the ideas guys, but I think I'm finding my direction. I started the section today. :D

Attached Files:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like that look a lot better than the blank painted space above the grill that makes it look like it has a bulb nose.

4. That area will be the olds hood, most likely peaked with the grille inset in the front. (I can't do that in photoshop). Stay tuned I think it's going to work.

5. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I like where you're going with this! Just my 2¢: I took your front end shot and cleaned it up a little, then molded in the fenders, moved the headlights outboard a bit and raised the grille a couple inches. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

6. You see what I see! Thanks! looks like I need to move the head lights :D
    Just happen to have another set of lights and aprons.

7. I've been working on the paying project, so I haven't had much time on my Stude. I wanted to sand blast , but the one nice day we had I spent blasting the inside of the T bird quarters. (epoxy primed them today! ) I did manage to find a little time to cut down the pillar sections that were removed and made the sleeves for the B pillars. Nice "tap in" fit. These will be cleaned up and plug welded into the post & the top will slide over the stub. The sleeve will act as a reinforcement and a backer for the weld around the B pillar. Sure feels good to work on My truck ! Even a little!

Attached Files:

8. Spent a little "me" time in the shop today. Did some trimming and cut out the firewall. Set it back together for a test fit. Yes I did lift the top half and set it on myself!:eek: Went ahead and cut the door and hung it.
    So what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

BOINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

What tastie licks do ya have planned for the bed, tail gate & rear facebar?:D Maybe '50 Lincoln naveplates for wheel treatments? Skirts, no skirts?

" The future ain't what it use to be "

10. :D:D I'm really glad I did this.It was strangely hard to commit to this direction. I'm finding out it takes balls to do a custom. Not just the work, but going with your vision. No matter what some will like it and some won't.

As for the box......I'm still kicking around ideas in my head. The later studes had a sorta step side with the fender molded in. The fender is shaped like the M series and I really like the shape. Maybe start with that,& fins? I don't know.......I want it to be somewhat usable as this will become my daily when the weather is decent. Once I get the front end worked out I'll have a better idea..........Was I supposed to have a plan??:eek:

11. mikes51

mikes51

I understand the top is chopped straight down, however, my perception is that it is a radical competition style chop. I've seen cars chopped like this and they look really dramatic with the whole car sitting on a rake to match the top.

Some things to think about when you get further along and get a look at the car from the side. Another thing that comes to mind is there was an era of full radius wheel wells and slight rakes on custom cars, Starbyrd's earlier customs. You could consider that approach, even though most people now think of level stance, or tail dragger/skirts to be a custom.

Olds grill looks good.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  12. Thanks Mike, that's something to think about. I really do like a slight nose down rake. Once I get it back on the chassis, I want to play with rake and tire/wheel size.

What do you guys think of something like this for the box? This is as far back as I could get for the picture. I got a lot of shit in the shop! Too bad I'm welding these on the T bird tomorrow. :)

Attached Files:

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

with the wheel opening moved they could look pretty cool...

14. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Since you asked... I think the Bird quarters belong on the Bird...ONLY. The 2 body styles don't match up at all. Your Stude is round, and bubbular. The Bird has crisp, sharp angles. It also reminds me of too many Rods with '57 Ford quarters on them. Forget about them. The Studes original quarters look unique, and the style flows from bumper to bumper. Don't change for the sake of change.

15. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Love the quarters and great call cutting it up, I say go for those quarters!

16. It would probably piss off the T bird owner pretty bad!;) But I could make something similar.

I had the same thought Bomber. Pretty hard contrast with the grille and the front fenders. I do like a little fin though! Maybe 63 fairlane? It's ok ,I have plenty to keep me busy on the front end/grille. I do have a 60 lincoln I can cut up if I want it...........but that might take things a little too far!:eek:

Thanks for the honest opinions..........I don't want this to end up on the ugliest customs thread! :D

17. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Haha definitely, and if that aint enough show them this pic ;)

[​IMG]

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tin,

Maybe not the Thunderchicken quarters, but have ya taken a look at the later Studebaker Hawk quarters? Designer Brooks Stevens was called in by Studebaker Corp. to get some more service out of Bob Bourke original design. The last Hawks had alitte bit of a fin!

" Meahwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

19. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey Sweed-Vadetta

That car looks like a Daryll Scar-Bird
    design.........:)

20. I just did some lookin around the net at a few. Maybe too much fin? I do like the Idea of a stude quarter. We'll see. The voices tell me to "build it....the parts will come".............along with a few other things:eek:

21. wayfarer

wayfarer

Eric, I really like where you are going with the Stude. With the section, chop, and custom front end, I think you could get away with some custom bed sides. Maybe something a little earlier than the t-bird would fit better. I also think it would look great with a regular bed, some sort of rounded fenders, and a custom tonneau cover. I can't wait to see it.

22. Hey Jeff! Thanks! Yeah the stock box and fenders don't look bad. Same fenders front and rear. I'm still thinking about how much I want to use the bed. Might have to build a cool little trailer for the bikes and kayaks!
    Are you going to join us for a little welding/shop hang out on the 23rd?

23. wayfarer

wayfarer

I'd like to come, but it depends on what my wife has going on. Someone has to entertain the little one!

24. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Its an old Swedish build by Bosse "Gamen" Sandberg built in the 60s, pretty cool except for a few details :)

Sorry for hijacking!

25. I've been able to spend a little time on the front end. Mostly cutting away the aprons and bottom of the hood, so I can get a better Idea where everything needs to be. I dropped the hood more in front I think I like it.

Attached Files:

26. I'm building new edge flanges for the hood and apron. This way I can end up with nice lines and gaps between the hood and aprons. What do you guys think about the three bar grill rather than the whole thing?

Attached Files:

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

3 or 4 bars, both look great. LOVE the Olds grill idea, but ya kinda knew that already huh?:D Do you plan on taking out the little spacers in the center of the bars?

28. I kinda thought you'd like the grille! I'm not sure about the spacers. I'm just getting ready to go out in the shop(gotta love spring break!) I'm going to put in a few hours on the Tbird, then play around with the grille in the Stude.
    I still have an Olds hood. Did you need the brace?

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Im likeing the bed. Paint it Black With Red pinstipes & call it the "BAT-TROCA". OOH, and dont forget the Bat Knock-offs.

30. Um...I don't have a bed yet. That 1/4 is back on the t bird. Just kicking around ideas. So your thinking bats rather than skulls? :D