Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped it.......she's still too tall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 17, 2013.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

I wouldn't make any decision on the headlights until after you've done the hood and narrowed the fenders....notice I said fenders lol yup both of 'em

2. Ya mean I cant leave it like this? :D I could save some time if I just do the one! I'll have to do all 4. Wider bed, narrower fenders. So how many feet of gas welds do you think it'll take once I narrow and fade all four fenders?!?:eek:

Attached Files:

3. Played around with the hood opening/headlight area a bit this afternoon. Not sure about the flow in the 3rd picture.

Attached Files:

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

yeah doesn't quite look right there.What if you instead of sectioning the hood...raise the new peice you've made upwards on the nose ...allowing the hood to sit down more between the fenders? looks from the pics that might get more slope into the centre of the hood (down at the front just a bit)and avoid having such a tight upward sweep on the fenders where they meet the hood sides?
    The nose of the hood does look a bit tall in the pics Eric.

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

6. Alive and well my friend :D We may be the only ones left that understand the insanity, but I keep cutting shit up!
    I spent some time medicating,..... um I mean meditating and looking the ol girl over yesterday. Discovered that during the last adjustment of the cab mounts( I shimmed up the front of the cab a bit) I moved the core support up too far and it caused things to also shift forward. Since the radiator will be in the back, today I scrapped the original core support and built a new frame to support the front end. End result I was able to lower the entire nose and tilt the grill back slightly. It cured several problems including the transition from the front of the hood to the fender. Everything looks like it's supposed to be where it's at. No pictures yet as I just hung the front sheet metal, and quit for the day. Next week I work on the bird. But I'm sure I'll work in a bit of time on the stude.

7. fleet-master

fleet-master

good to hear, I just got a fresh new bottle of Oxy...heh heh

8. Well, then, I think you owe us an update!!:)

9. fleet-master

fleet-master

Soon,Grasshopper....soon :) ;)

10. Been making a little progress on the hood opening. Got one of the corners done tonight. I built these pieces by fitting them to the hood. Kinda working upside down, but not the first time.

Attached Files:

11. Here it is on the truck, in case your wondering what the hell I'm doing.;)

Attached Files:

12. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

i was wondering and...wow ! :eek:

13. Now I just have to fill in the blanks!!

14. Spent a little more time on the stude. Joined the rest of the hood opening pieces. Not a very difficult part, so far. I was sweating it a little. Didn't really have a plan B if it didn't work. Played some more with the headlight placement. I think the profile is looking good. Maybe a little more curve in the peak?

Attached Files:

15. This seems to be my favorite view.........;)

Attached Files:

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

What are ya sittin down for Eric???...or is it beer o'clock? :D :D

17. forden

forden
    from indiana

i load pics and open them in the paint program. able to get an idea of what it looks like from there. its not perfect, background is all chopped up too, but it works.

18. adam401

adam401

the nose treatment rad. Gonna be good

19. It's part of the creative process:D I'm not a drinker, but If you look really close you can see a clock on the wall. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  20. Did some straightening today. Been a while since I fixed a dent like this. This is the apron I'll be using for the right side. It has a pretty good smuck with some stretching. I don't usually like to work on dirty parts, but it won't fit in the cabinet & it's snowing so I'm not blasting today.

Attached Files:

21. little sanding shows the buckling. The key to one like this is to leave the buckles on the surface alone and correct the 90* angle first. I started on the worst first. This took some pretty serious driving with several tools. The angle at the flange has a round radius rather than a tight break so I used tools with rounded edges. I started with the panel clamped to the table, and also rolled it as I drove the flange out.

The second picture shows where I started. The third shows the second buckle I forced out

Attached Files:

22. The area I'm repairing is the flange the front fender bolts to. It's flat where it meets the fender so a straight edge tells how far you have to go.

In between these two pictures I began to bring down the buckles on the surface. The flange angle had to be corrected to give the buckles somewhere to go. The buckles had to be brought down to let the flange go all the way back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  23. Last was some planishing on a stationary dolly. The surface ridges are still there. This is whats left of the stretching from the damage and the repair process. This is where I left off tonight. Next is a little plannishing with a shrinking file and a few passes with the shrinking disk.........Then I'll cut it all up and weld it into some oldsmobile parts. :eek:

Attached Files:

24. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Nice work. My next shop is in the planning stages so I'm staring at everyone else's equipment as well (that just sounds wrong on sooo many levels!) .... and your stationary dolly has given me an idea. Lots of times you could use different shapes on a job like that (pointy for a bead, flat for straightening a panel) and I'm thinking about making a spot on the work bench like a receiver hitch that would allow me to set different shaped dollies in it. With that leaf spring in front of your bucket "chair", I thought you had converted it to a rocking chair...lol, might do that some day too! Your shop looks well lived in, and the dog seems to agree! Gotta train him to hold the panels!

25. Thanks whtbaron! I have and use a bunch of different stationary and post dollys. Absolute must for the type work I do. And the chair is becoming a rocker! It reclines and the arm rest fold down. I had tacked it together, but the wife came out to the shop, and let's just say it wasn't ready for two people!!:eek:

26. Spent the afternoon in the shop today. Was able to finish up the apron for the right side. It still needed to be driven out at the line a little more. A flexible straight edge curved to match the panel shows it much better than the ridged one in the last post. More driving out at the line got it straight. The long reach dolly matched the radius pretty well. After driving the line out, I put a curved T dolly in the vise and smoothed the radius out some.

Attached Files:

27. Used a vixen file to finish off the outside of the radius. That was followed by slapping with a shrinking file on the surface with a low crown dolly underneath.

Attached Files:

28. I still had some pretty good stretch in the surface of the panel. As I worked it over with the shrinking file it got closer. With the dolly or stationary dolly under the low areas, slapping with the file raises the lows, and shrinks the high ridges......slightly! you can see the marks left by the file as the panel starts to level out. The file only hits the high spots. After several cycles of filing, shrinking and planishing, I ground the surface. If you look closely at the last picture you can see some slight dark spots. That's what's left of the low spots. My inspector says that's good enough! :D After all I'm cutting this up and welding it to the oldsmobile headlights!

Attached Files:

29. Got the flanges on the other side removed and cut down the apron. The second picture is the right fender from the 47 olds wall hanging that supplied the grill & left fender. It's marked for the first trim......yeah she's a ham....The last two are with two headlights! That's right! Count um..! Finally a more or less complete front end!

Attached Files:

30. fleet-master

fleet-master

can't decide which of these it looks like Eric......jokes...just jokes!! :D :p

Attached Files: