Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped '53 Stude

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 'Mo, Sep 17, 2013.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

I was clearing space for a new shed, and took the opportunity to uncover this neglected hulk for a quick snapshot, for slings and arrows.

I chopped the top about 20-30 years ago, using an inverted '50 Ford rear window. Getting rid of the wrap-around window gives the car a "turret" look (similar to a '36 Ford), which I like.

Plans are/were for molded Hawk fins, possibly '37 Ford headlights. (Yeah, I know.)
    For now, cover goes back on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only change I'd make is to extend the quarter windows back a bit while retaining the signature 53 Stude quarter window shape.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe in another 20-30 years uncover it again?

4. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

better get some kind of paint on it or next time you uncover it you will have a convertable

5. chromeazone

chromeazone

:mad: Get that car inside !

6. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow 'Mo I like what you have done so far! Would have been kool to see it done :)

7. fleet-master

fleet-master

x2 !!!!!

8. 'Mo

'Mo

Interesting, Mr48chev. I hadn't imagined that before.

Well, you just can't ever tell!

So sorry, so true. I've already lost the once great floors (with raised driveshaft tunnel.):(

That means a lot, Sondre. Thank you.

I only got it started once. Hood open, jumper cables (to my Fordmobile, running), hot wired under the dash (laying on the floor)...I didn't know the shift pattern for the Hydro trans, and it fired up IN GEAR...with no emergency brake OR brake fluid! :eek: Once was enough for the time being.

But just maybe...:D

9. cosmic12

cosmic12

Instead of putting it inside or letting it become earth I think you should give it to me so I can finish it ;-) I have always wanted one of those, I promise I will take good care of it. LOL

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  10. Man that thing is really cool. Give it a chance either at your hands or someone else's. It would be neat to see that one finished.

11. 327Eric

327Eric

put in a 77 trans am or camaro rear window (Or a cut down stock rear window) and you got something.

12. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Looks cool, would like to see it finished. Good luck with it.

13. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats interesting,do you have more pics?

14. txturbo

txturbo

I'll trade a running vehicle for it....I've been looking for one of those.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

37 Ford headlights will ruin it. So will the fins. French the headlights and figure out a way to elongate the rear quarter windows so make them larger and "flow" with the shape of the roof. It's too nice a car to leave outside and unfinished.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for the well wishes and the suggestions, guys. Cosmic12 might have the best idea yet! LOL

Finnrodder, that's it for pics right now. But with all this encouragement, maybe I'll dig it out again soon for a little re-hab. I'll be sure to get some more pics if I do (next time with the Hawk fins mocked in place.)

17. cosmic12

cosmic12

COOL! that means I win? Where do I pick it up?
    Seriously though, Please get it under cover and off the ground it really deserves a better life. Its a very neat car with goobs of potential.

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

I sorta like it! how bout some more pictures before you cover it up again.

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

as far as the design goes...I'd take a long hard look at the black Chrysler that Joe Wilhelm built. Or the Tom Bacon '53 Stude coupe on Kustomrama. I'd go with the windows you already have,and accentuate them with a little stainless mouldings.

the car has TON of potential.

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

I been looking at your Stude for the past half hour, the more I look at it the more I like it.

Kustomrama also has pics of Jim Lynch's 53. The tail on that car looks real nice and it too has a different rear windscreen. Are you familiar with it?

21. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, speedyb. But it's already back under wraps.

Thanks, fleet-master! James Lynch's Stude has always been a favorite of mine. Rear window was from a '41 Lincoln.
    (I also drew inspiration from the severely chopped Sanchez Bonneville post car.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    kiwijeff likes this.
  22. Couple of ideas for the side windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  23. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, James D. It's always good to see your input on any project.
    That last one has a completely different look. Both are food for thought.
    (Though I do like the heavily "turreted" look of the car as it now stands.)
    Nice job on the rear glass.

An interesting thing about the Stude: its ultra-slimline body is stretched out on a 120"(+) WB.
    That's about the same as a 1960 Pontiac Catalina!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  24. Rikster

Rikster

I think its almost perfect the way it is right now.
    Does not need any fins... will not improve it in my eyes.
    I only changed the angle on the rear of the side window slightly to give it a little more speed.

Otherwise... bumper on the front and a nice grille treatment. Think mostly stock but cleaned up, simplified. Nice not to tall white walls and full wheel covers. Perhaps 53 Caddy Sombrero's

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! Man, Rik doesn't miss anything! Cool . . .

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  26. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for applying your talents and expertise here, Rik. The tighter window radius looks fantastic!

The fins interweave with the history of the car, and of its original vision.
    They were nearby on site car when I first saw the car. I wanted to buy the car, but it sold before I was able, and disappeared :(
    It turned years up later for sale, just one block down the street!
    I bought the car for maybe $400 Dollars. The fins were no longer with it.

I rented storage space in the back lot of a mechanic shop for a year (doubling my investment), till finally dragging the car home. The car sat untouched for years (other than removing the Ford split wishbone traction bars and ancient pie-crust slicks, and installing lowering blocks).

It took those years to track down the fins, and months to cinch the deal.
    The very day I finally brought the fins home, I began the chop!

The fins will be slightly trimmed for height. I love the concave they add to the quarter, and the shoulder they create near the door. It is very reminiscent of the perfectly aerodynamic wing of a hawk, its donors namesake.

The cars profile will resemble the shape of an arrow, with the feathers (fins) for stability.
    Consequently, the headlight treatment too will receive a recumbent attitude.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  27. johnod

johnod

I've never seen anyone improve on the body lines of a stock 53.

I'm afraid you haven't changed my mind.

28. 'Mo

'Mo

That's fine, johnod. The '53 Stude is among the pinnacle of auto design. Thank you for your opinion.

Road and Track magazine once ran the cover story, "The Top Ten Most Influential Designs of All Time". The '53 Stude was on the list. (As were the '63 Buick Riviera, and the slab-sided 1948 Simca.)

Here is a good primer on "The Loewy Coupe" for Stude Newcomers.
    http://www.carlustblog.com/2010/03/195354-studebaker-loewy-coupes.html

The Loewy Design Studio also gave us the classic "Coke Bottle" design, as well as the once standard U.S. Postal stamp, the Sears refrigerator, and "US One"'s paint schemes.

My own introduction to Studebakers goes back to the mid-sixties.
    My friend Billy Gibbs was building one as his "A" car, with a 327 mill, and a Vette F.I. unit he had traded a tool box for (!).

Around the same time (mid-60's), HRM's coverage of Bonneville Speed Week pictured no less than SEVEN 1953 Studes vying for records, with may succeeding. The most radical of them all was the Sanchez/Cagle entry, which became the first full bodied door-slammer to break the 200 MPH barrier , eventually hitting 230 MPH. (Remember, this is in the 1960's!)

Shortly thereafter, AMT Models released its '53 Stude 'Starlight' Coupe, with what was probably the first kit-supplied chop-top option. The severity of the chop, and other kit options (such as the headlight covers and front rolled pan) left no doubt as to their origin, and further validated the Sanchez coupe.

I like '53 Studes AND chopped cars. This one had a low buy-in price=best case scenario for me!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I've spent the last few months carefully shopping for a '53 myself. Thank you for posting that link.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. johnod

johnod

Well I wasn't trying to be rude, glad you understood that.
    I agree with it being one of the top American car designs, that's why I have one.:)

I did think some of the photo shop work around the quarter windows helped the look.

Good luck with your project.