Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects chop top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustymetal, Oct 1, 2012.

1. rustymetal

rustymetal

what would be a fair price to give ,for a 2 inch chop on a 36 ford truck cab ?
    no rust repair and have another roof and doors.

2. birdman42

birdman42

$800 to $1500 here in southeast Mo.

3. rustymetal

rustymetal

come on is that the price

4. southern thunder

southern thunder

a friend of mine here in Ga. charges $500.00 per inch. theres a lot of work involved in a chop. he has a 49 f-1 in his shop now, doing a 3 " chop.

5. Seriously? By the inch? So, a 1" chop is $500, with all trim and body chopped 1", but a 6 inch chop is $3000? Weirdest pricing I ever heard of.

6. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

They must have found an easier way to do it.

7. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

my budget would be for a 1/4 chop. $125 is all i could spare

8. LMAO. With pricing $500 a inch, I would bet guys have asked.

9. Cerberus

Cerberus

It's the "rule of thumb" pricing principle.

Attached Files:

10. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

i wouldnt think of choppin any thing those years for less than 2,500$....and mercs or fleets or any sleds start at 5000- 9000$ .... idk how they could do a good job at that price....i would be scared at that price!!!!

11. I would think that chopping a top correctly is going to cost you at least a grand nowadays. HRP

12. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

so is that finnished metal work and all...or just the layout, chop and weld....

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Glad I don't own a T with that per inch rule

14. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

i in no way think im the last stop on chops,,,but just workin at a body shop, having a sawall , welder and knowing how to wipe bondo doesn't qualitfy someone to chop a car... check on how many theyve done!!!!!!

15. cayager

cayager

about 5 years ago i got $1500 to chop a top on a 31 model A tudor sedan. if you own the tools and more important have the skills you should get paid. any good shop would get $70 - $100 an hour . it doesnt take long to eat up alot of hours. good layout, good fitup and good welding and grinding take time.

16. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I saw a guy do it for a case of beer.Only problem was he drank the beer while doing it and cut on the wrong side of the tape on one side and was off 3/4 inch on the other.He didn't support the body and the body got welded crooked all over. He thought it looked pretty good until he sobered up . Man that was some funny shit. The owner brought it to me to fix. Sometimes you are better off not trying to get the cheapest deal in town ,that case of beer could cost you a lot more in the end.LOL

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$3500, more if you want it metal finished.

18. deto

deto

Cheap chops are akin to cheap tattoos and plastic surgery...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. it's almost impossible to estimate anything on old cars. you never know whats under the paint. a set price is a industry joke, I know some very good shops that never estimate any build over $50,000 knowing very well that after the start up the owners will get caught in the F*** it! lets go for it.
    I get hit all the time for a "Ball Park I won't hold you to it" and when the job is finished the only price they remember is the lowest number in the Ball park

20. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Noname is all to right. I've been in conversations about prices on chops and people don't understand why I won't give quotes. I had one guy arguing with me that he could give a set price on how much it would cost to change a water pump or something, him being a mechanic. Told him good for you, have one of them guys do it then....that quote price is the only number they ever remember, even though you tell them 100 times you work hourly..

21. pitman

pitman

How complete is the job to be quoted?
    Faired and in primer?
    Flawless or looks good at 60 mph?
    The 2nd post is a fair estimate depending on your expectations.

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Around here it's $ 1,000.00 an inch just the chop, no glass cutting , no trim cutting

23. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Time and material.... The only "accurate" estimate for chopping a top.

When people ask me about prices for custom for specialized body work I just recommend they learn how to do it themselves....

I'm reminded of a typical response I've heard many times when giving the infamous Ball Park quote for paintwork....usually said with increased volume and a chocking sound.... "Are you shittin' me??? It's just paint"

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

"How complete is the job to be quoted?"

That's really the $64,000. question, isn't it? Glass cut and re-installed? Primered? Painted? New headliner installed? Rust? Etcetera, etcetera.... Way too many variables involved.

25. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

... Way too many variables involved

Which is why Time and Materials is the only accurate estimate. Sheet metal work is hard enough, especially if there is damage or corrosion to deal with, but all the other things that have to be dealt with can really sneak up on you.
    Like cutting garnish moldings that are destined to be chromed:eek:

26. i don't know how you could price it by the inch. every car is different. the 36 truck cab in question or a model a or a model t for instance would be much less labor intensive than a mid century merc or a 54 chevy or somthing of that nature.

what ever you do, don't just go with the best price. that will cost you your car in most cases. there is thread after thread here on fixing botched chops. look at some of those before you go with the cheapest price.

there is a lot to know about chopping to do it correctly. getting the roof lower is pretty easy. getting it low and making sure all the windows fit correctly and the doors to shut and seal properly is somthing all together.

somtimes saving money is a bad idea. usually it will cost you much more.

27. What he said! I have done a few and it depends on how far you want it finished. Just cut and welded is one thing. Glass, finished body work, all trim peices finished? It can mount up.

28. slammed

slammed

Take a number of pix, detailed write up of what you need. Then PM CHOPRODS aka Kenny Baker. Then begin your journey south!

29. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I've never chopped a top but charging by the inch doesn't make much sense.

I think you go hit 100 hours real easy chopping a top. 50 - 80 dollars an hour gets you to 5 - 8k $ real easy.

30. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I've never chopped a top but charging by the inch doesn't make much sense.

I think you could hit 100 hours real easy chopping a top. 50 - 80 dollars an hour gets you to 5 - 8k $ real easy.