Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop Top: what back window fits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Studebakester, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I want to chop my 53 Studebaker Starliner more than the "Gentleman's Chop" done by Dick Dean... more like a Bonneville chop, but not extreme, cause I want to be able to drive it when I'm done and I'm 6'2". I can lower the seat and make other adjustments to a point.

The problem is, I don't know what rear window will work. I want to keep it wrap around like stock, just lower profile. I like the 75-81 Camaro/Firebird, but it is too wide.

Anyone got any experience with this chop? Thanx much. db

2. I have to look but seen one done in a mag with a smal curved round rear window, similar to a 49 merc, must have been a beetle rear window, looked really classy. DO NOT use the 70's camaro backlight, looks honkey when done wrong.
    Will post pics from the mag if I find it.

3. found the images, the guy used a 47 lincoln backlight, good luck finding that! this car is an actual 50's custom.

Attached Files:

4. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

lower the whole package tray and window into the car and extend trunk lid forward to the window. You will have to make drainage provisions as well as new hinges.lexan looks like lexan.

5. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I wondered about that approach. Have you actually done or seen this on a Studebaker like mine? I've seen it done on other cars, but not the Stude. db

6. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Thanx for the pics. I like that car a lot, but I really want to keep the wrap around look. I saw another one similar to that one, can't remember what window he used, but it looked similar. I was thinking it was a 46 Ford maybe. But, again, I'd like to keep the wrap around.

I agree about the Camaro window. I've seen one done nicely and I've seen one done wrong, neither on a Stude, though. A Plymouth and a Chevy. It looks good when it's right, really bad when it's not. db

7. scrape

scrape

on those cars, i think you can chop the front windshield posts a couple inches and leave the back glass stock.... like cuting a pie from the windshield back.... know what i mean?????

8. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Yeah, that's the "gentleman's chop" that I referred to in my first post. I'd like to go a little further than that. db

9. you're a lucky man. the 53 to 58 hardtops back glass is being repopped in laminated and can be trimmed to fit. it's available in clear, green or grey.
    age old problem is solved
    PM me monday for a price

10. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

x2 for the laminate glass! thats the way to go.

11. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Now we're talkin'.:) I will PM you. Thanx. db