Register now to get rid of these ads!

chop top 47 Ford help???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyknucklehill, Jun 12, 2009.

1. hey anyone got pics of a chopped 45-47 ford truck.. i have a nice side view pic but i suck on computers so no luck photoshopping it.. if you know how much it was chopped that would rock too.. looking for an idea of how much i should take off of the top of mine but not sure how it would look.. thanks all..

Attached Files:

2. Why do you want to chop it? Those trucks already have a good profile. If anything, just section the roof down a little to get rid of the big scalp.

3. i've seen em' chopped before and i know that choppin em' to much ruins the look but i still want the roof line a little lower.. just don't want to go too much you know.. i was thinking a subtle 2 or 3" but i'd like to see what that looks like on it before i go chopping it up

4. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

COE with 3 inches removed. The cabs are very simular hope it helps with the visual.

5. thanks that does help a bit.. i see that the coe's are quite similiar fro the A pillar back.. that beltline is different thought in a better way.. the three lined belt line looks good.. thank you and keep em coming.. i see pictures of them chopped all the time but it never says how much and i just want to get it right without fuckin up what i got ya know..

6. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Take out 3 inches and leave the rear window the stock height and no one will even notice. Thats how they should of been made in the first place. Back in the day everyone wore one of those big ole hats they had to make room for. LOL :cool:

7. that's awsome.. i've got an old pic somewhere of my grandpa on the farm in Illinios in a big straw hat in a 41 ford truck with no hood(da and his brothers and sisters used it as a sled in the winters).. i was debating on chopping around the rear window and leaving it stock like you said.. kinda dig the mailslot back window look though so that's still up in the air.. thanks alot metaltwister.. anyone else got pics?

8. any one else got pics and chop specs?

9. jharrell

jharrell
    from arkansas

if you have a hastings video store near you they have a how to section in the automotive books i have a book called (how to chop tops) by tex smith and it showes all kinds of diffrent cars and trucks the closest to yours i found was a 48-54 chevy truck but it is close enough to get an ideal and the book goes step by step and has spec's and pictures

10. thanks jharrel.. i'll have to try and look it up.. but i've never heard of hastings video store.. i'm sure i can find it somewhere though..

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rod & Custom had a series within the last 4 years where they dropped the back of the turret without chopping the WS. took away that humped up look.

12. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Here is mine ruined ? with a 4" chop, done two months ago.
    Rear window kept stock height by removing 2" above and below it.

Attached Files:

13. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Dosn't look ruined to me, I think it looks good.

14. brewsir

brewsir

awwww you ruined it real nice!
    Try it the old fashioned way...get a side shot of your truck and make numerous copies...figure out the scale by measuring a couple of known values and get out the scissors and scotch tape and cut the top a few different heights. use a pencil or pen to fill in the gaps.
    I would say to chop the rear window less than the rest of the top...if you do a 3 inch chop maybe cut only 2 out of the back window and move it down an inch....also you can cut 1 less inch out of the windshield than the rest for better visibility and less of a forehead.

15. banditomerc

banditomerc

Don`t take out more than 2 inches...my 2 cents

16. yeah you ruined it alright:p.. that looks awesome.. doesn't even seem like it's been chopped that much..

17. Old Gold

Old Gold

My 46'. It's chopped a bunch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. brewsir

brewsir

now that's a bitchin truck...great stance,heavy chop with the leaned back A pillars. I would have probably lowered the back window a little to center it in the space on the back of the cab...but I'm picky like that.....Love the look!!! Reminds me of an old willys gasser (but on the ground of course)

19. i concur.. that looks very menacing and elegant at the same time.. good shit man..

20. unibody

unibody

There has been a couple of articles on how to chop one of these 2" without sectioning the roof and chop below the back glass to lower it. You have to lean the A piller back, just depends on what you want, mild or extreme but I think they look clean with the 2" chop.

21. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

just read all the talk about cuttin up your p/u.i had a 46 in my younger days , always wanted to cut it up , but it got hit by a drunk while parked.i have a 50 now , i cut , and my only regrett is not cuttin it more.after you get used to lookin at it , 3 in. starts lookin stock.or at least the way it should have been made.take 5 in. out and have a custom.you wont regreat it. its a lot of work so make sure everyone knows ya did it. anyway , im here to find out if anyone knows how to cut a 47 super deluxe , no one will buy it , so im takin out at least 4 in. . im nearly your neighbor , so if you need incouragement , or a saw let me know!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

22. baumer

baumer
    from Wapato

I just chopped mine 8 inches yesterday (2-13-10). I wanted to get to the minimum legal front windshield hight of 6 inches, and an 8 inch chop does it. Amazingly the front pillars line up, but the back needs to be wider by about a half inch on each side. I think it looks good. I will try to get pics posted.

23. 27T

27T

24. baumer

baumer
    from Wapato

Here's the 8 inch chop.

Attached Files: