Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop Time: My 31 coupe gets a 5" hair cut! Updated.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Apr 16, 2011.

1. JDocherty

JDocherty

Shooter, that is a work of art!

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hey thanks! Next up is to blast and paint my 16" wires, and round up some doe for some new tires. Then I'll be feeling good about it. Gonna throw on my carb/intake, and exhaust this weekend I think. Coming along nicely!:D

3. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Awesome! What are you gonna do for headlights?? I cut up my OG headlight bar and fender brackets for a quick, easy and cheap bar that looks great!

4. Car looks great sporting that hair cut!

5. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

The 5 inch chop is just right. I did the same to my 30 coupe.

Attached Files:

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I've got a nice set of guides that I'm going to use. Gonna cut up a stock bar and bend it to get them where I want them. Should be this weekend.

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Cool! Nice car!!!

8. thats good lookin' man

9. bubbajla

bubbajla
    from Rogers, AR

10. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

5 inch is perfect! real cool car man!

11. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

These nice days seem to be workin out well for ya! so cool.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    Thanks man! Yeah, I've been really plugging away at this thing. Your buddy gave me that intake I needed-super cool dude. I'm hoping to have the carb on by the weekend. I got a V8 torque tube too that I'm going to use to straight pipe the exhaust. Hoping those two things will give it a little pep.

Now I just gotta come up with some scratch to buy the tires and I'll be sitting pretty!

13. GARY?

GARY?

I've been lurkin' on this one. Really like the car. Really chopped hiboy A coupe has to be one of my favorites! Your car is lookin' good!

Folks typically use the '35, '36 drive shaft, not the torque tube for the exhaust. The torque tube is so darn heavy.
    They do sound good with 'em.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Oh really? You're right, they are pretty heavy. Once I lob the ends off and cut it down to the size I need, I think it won't be too terribly bad. I know I will have to build some good bracing/brackets.

Thanks for the compliments on the car, I really appreciate it. I'm super excited about how much good feedback I've gotten on this car just driving it around. I can't wait to get it done! Thanks again.

15. 5window

5window

First of all, it's your car and if you like it, the hell with other people's opinions. That being said, from the angle of your photo and with that long hood side, it looks squashed to me. JMTC and probably not worth that.

16. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks. Yeah, not everyone will like it, to me it's exactly what I wanted. I love the look of it with the full hood and that squatty roof.

Once I get the 16's with bigs and littles on it, the overall look will make more sense to a lot of people. You'll see, it's going to look like it will eat your face.

18. daddylama

daddylama

from the pics, i'm diggin the proportions as is... looks great. throw some commercial headlights on there and it'd be killer

19. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

So you are planning on 16's? I was going to go that route and use the 19's on my 28 coupe, but the more I drive my 30, the more I am liking the 19's! Maybe I'll swap them around and see what it looks like. I am putting a T spring in the rear and flipping the eye on my front so maybe I should keep the 19's on it. Either way, your vision is spot on (not that I'm biased!) and I'm sure your finished product is gonna kick ass!!

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Yeah, 16's are what I want on this one. The look I want calls for them I think.

I'll keep the 19's and use them on a boat tail speedster I plan to build one day. :D

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

No updates to post but thought I'd share something funny.

Went to the store today (beer run) in the coupe and when I pulled in, I parked right next to a cutless on like 30" rims, gold flaked, limo tint, bunch of thugged out lookin mah-fuckers inside, etc.

I get out and the doors open on the cutless and out pile all these dudes and I'm thinking "oh great, this will be interesting" and the first thing I see is all smiles on these guys. I sat there and talked to three big-ass scary looking gangster dudes, all of which most likely had a gun on them (not judging, I was and do carry 100% of the time) for like ten minutes about my car, and cars in general. One guy asked me if it was steam powered(!) one of the other guys said "nah dude, this shit is way newer than that shit-Model T's don't run on STEAM stupid!" (he actually used a different word, one that starts with N that I'm not going to say)

When I was telling them about the car, they asked how it drove and I said it rides a little rough, and the one guy says "Try ridin on rims like this-this thing rides like bullshit."

Then everyone shook my hand and told me to "keep it up, keep ridin' dirty" (what the fuck does that MEAN?)

HAHAHA. Even gang members are into it!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  22. perfect, looks right on.

23. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Looks killer shooter!!!

24. WTF were you doing in St Johns???......well glad to hear you ride" Heavy!"

25. Labold

Labold

Looks great.

...keep ridin' dirty bro :D

26. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

really nice man. i dig it!

27. muddyroads

muddyroads
    from legrand,IA

perfect chop,just the way it should look!

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Haha. St. Johns....

It was weird because it wasn't a bad neighborhood I was in at all. Oh well, met some cool fellas and didn't get shot. A good day for sure.

Man, if I would have been driving my other car, they would have been real damn stoked:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks Ian, that means a lot coming from a guy like you.

30. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Jake,
    Looks so bad ass dude. Do you have a header to run with the down draft? You can use the stock one, but you have to make some shims. 36 drive line(s) work pretty good. That is what they used back in the day. I'm running two on mine. I cant wait to see yours with some big and littles. Keep ridding dirty.
    [​IMG]