Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop Time: My 31 coupe gets a 5" hair cut! Updated.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ask rick about the mound of mirrors in the MYSTERY room...........Just dont put a damn 32 grill on it and make it look like shit..........that A grill is one of Henrys better ideas

2. Jim

Jim

Mine is also chopped 5".. I use a hinge mount mirror and see fine and also think it looks better than a peep!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. endlessearth

endlessearth

Looks perfect. I guess chopping a Model A is about the only time a guy would be happy with 5 inches. :)

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Your car is awesome. I actually have a few pics of it saved on my computer.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Jim, do you have a side shot of your car now that it's all one color?

6. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Damn it man, now im checkin the classifieds for another model-A.... I might have found a downdraft intake for you in other news, if you havnt found one yet.

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I haven't found one....

I'm all ears:D

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Also there was a 28/29 coupe body on craigs for $1250, looked decent for the price.

9. My Brother has a single downdraft with linkage I think he's gonna sell...

10. Jim

Jim

True,, I see that you are in Scottsdale! My wife has spent the last seven months at the Mayo clinic and we are hoping to go home tomorrow after her dialisis..

This car has been a very low priority to me for the last year and a half but with any luck we will get to start enjoying it again soon!

Here is a side shot:

[​IMG]

11. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

well my buddy Doug here in Vancouver just picked up a sweeeeet 28 RPU, think it came with an extra unknown name downdraft intake and even an extra 97. Come up here Ill introduce ya guys

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Oh?:D

I'll PM him.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Cool, will do. I wonder if he'd separate them? I have a nice rebuilt 94 coming my way that I plan to run.

Thanks for the heads up.

You coming to Madison's next Sunday? 10am.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    Jim, your car is looking great man!

15. Bandit Ls-1

Bandit Ls-1

dam that looks good! after seeing all the other pics 5in is deff. the perfect amount to chop, 4 just isnt enough.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hey thanks! Yeah, it really is the perfect amount-at least in my opinion. I fell in love with this car all over again.

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Awesome chop!! 5 inches seems to be the perfect fit. I have been researching different chops for mine and I think you sealed the deal. I just picked up this stocker and had planned on fenderless with splash aprons and chopped. I do have the hood, it has just been running warm on me so this helps keep me cool for the time being.

You said you corrected your seat problem, but what seat did you end up using? Thanks!

Here's my blank canvas :D

[​IMG]

18. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

It is amazing how many old cars look so much better with a few inches out of the top. Almost like they were designed 'wrong' to start with.

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Wow, nice car.

I have the stock seat still with the riser removed, seat frame bolted directly to the floor, seat bottom sits right on the floor. I had to put a little 1" riser in the front to kick it up a little. Without it, the seat sits completely flat on the floor and gives it a very uncomfortable foot-on-pedals position.

Doing it this way I think gained me 3 or 4 inches of room. (I haven't measured the stock riser I took out yet)

Before my head hit the roof big time and I had to lean over the wheel. No I have about an inch or so when sitting straight up.

20. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks so much! I went out of my way to find the cleanest A (in my price range) that I could cut up!! Yours looks to be in awesome shape as well. Thanks for the info on the seat, my interior is dated, ie. ugly so I will probably redo all of it while hacking up the roof.

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

You're doing it right man, that's what I wanted to do too. I chased this one for a long time because it is super solid, runs and drives well, and already had a 36 front axle and juice brakes on it. By doing it this way it puts us well ahead of the game. I've only had this car for a month and it will be set up just the way "I always wanted" and driving to it's first cruise next Sunday. Can't beat that for instant gratification, short of buying a done hot rod that is.

Please post up pics of your progress, I would love to see it.

22. gsport

gsport

shooter.... how tall are you?? i'm 6' 3" and don't think i could fit in there...
    looks way cool..

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'm 6' even. I fit, but kinda "just barely"

At 6' 3" it may be a little tougher.

24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks, mine still has mechanical brakes, but they're adjusted right and for now it stops just fine. Once I regear, and start hopping up the banger I may juice them. I need another axle, some A-hole welded the perches in and without a steering stabilizer I have horrible death wobble. I've only had mine for about 2 weeks so I'm still working things out, but have always had the idea of the "perfect" Model A in my head. Looks like we think allot alike, keep posting pics of yours, enjoy that cruise next Sunday!

25. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

GREAT looking cars

Grommet

26. 5window

5window

They were designed for practicality, and, for the driver to wear a hat.

27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Just a random pic of coming back from a little club meet yesterday. Feels good driving it down the road.

[​IMG]

28. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Dammit man, just when I was almost settled on a 4 inch chop you go and post this pic!!! It looks good man, real good. I might as well just go 5 on mine and be done with it. Got any more pics you're hoarding? I'd like to see how you did your seat. (I know it's simple, but pics help!)

29. 117harv

117harv

AstroZombie and shooter54, GREAT looking cars. The pic above brought a smile to my face...love it:rolleyes::)

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Astro- here's the only other newish pic I have.

[​IMG]

I'll get some pics of the seat situation for you too.