Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods chop saw question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Apr 10, 2018.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's just it! Don't force the tool. Let it do the work.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  2. That's a topic that can never be stressed enough.

flatheadpete, Vanness and zzford like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my ass chewed out by the guys at the machine shop I had doing my machine work at for the dairy I worked at when I cut a piece of round stock to length and then took it to them to have the machine the end rather than taking the whole stick. Cutting the metal with an abrasive chop saw heat hardens the end and really screws with machine tools and bits.
    I've got a Black and Decker Industrial chop saw but seldom use it preferring to use my bandsaw. No sparks no mess with the band saw and I can put the piece in it, turn it on and let it work while I do something else.

osage orange likes this.
  4. Bet you got it good and hot and stuck it in water because it was too hot to carry .

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I used a Harbor Freight 8" metal cutting blade in a 10" wood chop saw to cut the metal for a metal gate. It was 3/4" 22 ga tubing and it worked great for precise 90 and 45 degree cuts but did wear out the blade so it needed to be sharpened. They make the blade to work with a dedicated saw to cut metal.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't own a chop saw, but I have a metal cased Skil saw that I have an abrasive blade on that I use to cut steel with. The blades last a pretty good while unless you are cutting thick material. You have to have the metal case saw, the plastic guards on some of them won't hold up to the hot sparks. Fixing to go cut some exhaust tubing in a few minutes with it right now.

Vanness likes this.
  7. RANGER DANGER SAYS COVER YOUR TOOL!

And USE EAR PROTECTION!
    As critical as using the right tool for the job.
    For years this is our rule.
    Over time we've picked up 10 or so ear muff style protectors for the shop. Hang them on each tool or on the bench. Always one close at hand....

Vanness likes this.
  8. PPE for sure. I have a DeWalt chop saw that I've been using with a fiber abrasive blade picked up from railroad use (rail is a lot harder than any steel I'll ever be cutting). I never put any part of my body in line with the blade, although those blades haven't shattered even under the most brutal use. Caution always is better than expedience.

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it will. And, it will also melt the plastic exhaust throat of your saw. Wood miter saws are for wood, steel cut off saws are for steel.

10. Thanks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have a cheap miter saw from Home Depot that I use with an abrasive blade when needed. It's pretty accurate, and after it melted the plastic blade guard, no worries!

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Chop saws are excellent for cutting hardened steel too.
    Had one in my high school metal shop class. Kids used it under
    direct supervision. They loved the sparks.
    We wore earmuffs,,goggles AND face shield. Great tool.

13. The dual saw destroyer is a B A D mofo. Rips right thru 1/2 steel. I'd bet it would cut thru 2" no problems.
    Billy mays was pumping the smaller version for a while

I don't use mine too much, it kinda scares me but I bet a crafty fella could build it into a chop saw configuration.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018