Register now to get rid of these ads!

chop a windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbc 1957 gasser, Nov 14, 2009.

1. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

whats the best way or the tricks to cut down a windshield

its for a 58 chevy

i know about the old sand blast trick is there any other ways ..?

2. I use a glass cutter, cuting little 1 inch toenails till I get it down and then sand it to shape. There are a lot of ways to do it but none are fool proof.

3. carzwy

carzwy

I have used a glass cutter the tapped it . put lighter fluid on the cut and lit it to burn the film away between the glass. practice on an old piece of safety glass firs/

4. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i duct tape both sides of the cut marks with several layers of tape. next i sandblast down to the lamination on both sides and cut with a utility knife. finish edges with a belt sander. takes long but it works safely.

5. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have cut curved windshields with a Roto Zip using a new ceramic bit and spraying lots of water at the bit with a squirt bottle to keep the cut cool.If you don't cool it you will break it.I built a wooden buck to support the inside of the glass to keep it from flexing during the cut.The piece your cutting off wants to hang and flex if you don't support it will crack the glass.I duct taped the buck to the inside of the windshield.Then after cutting I carefully sanded the edge smooth. Practice on a old junk windshied first. Good luck!

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the sandblast method. Recently I moved up from duct tape to "sandblasting resist", which is the self adhesive rubber that monument companies use when they blast letters for gravestones, etc. Plus, I love the looks I get hauling boxes out of the monument company. Glass places that do "artsy" or frosted glass should have it too. Whatever method you use, support the glass adequately while you are working.

7. Bluefoot

Bluefoot

i take a peice of metal like sign metal,tape it down real good then sand blast the glass next to it stright that way you get nice clean cut