Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Choosing an Interior Color

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Falcon H, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

On Frame.jpg
    As my '56 Pontiac is starting to come together, I've been looking ahead to working on the interior. The problem is that I have no idea what direction to go with it! What color do you think would complement the red? Black? Charcoal? Gray?

I appreciate any ideas. I hate decisions (you should have seen me when I was trying to choose the exterior color :D)

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually have the interior already selected before I squirt the outside but ill help you play catch up. I like red and black interior on red cars. Not just red piping but look at 57 chevy's, they have excellent interiors with fabric, not just vinyl. 59 Interior were cool too. Don't copy them but use them as a guide. Just an idea

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. desotot

desotot

Stock seats? what style or era? Black with white piping.Say no to French seams unless you squat when you pee.

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If its going to be FAST, then a nice shit brown will come in handy. If you are just going to go get ice cream, let your wife pick it out.:D:rolleyes::p

31hotrodguy likes this.

5. metalman

metalman

Hard to tell your build style yet from the pic. Hot rod? Basic black always fits. More of a stocker, just a cruiser? A nice cream with slightly darker red cloth inserts would look good. Custom? White tuck & roll always works. Greys and tans always feel too street roddey too me, never care for that. Of course these are just my opinions but I'm not the one going to be sitting in it!

6. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Probably mostly stock, but with a little hot rod flair (steelies and baby-moons or chrome lugs).

What are your thoughts on fabric vs vinyl?

7. I think white would look good with that red, no contrasting piping.

8. metalman

metalman

Tweed is nice (kidding!:eek:). I tend to go all vinyl on my own builds, I tend to drive them to work and they get dirty, vinyl cleans up easier and I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning interiors. I do like cloth inserts since it can be cooler in summer, warmer in winter, however I've done some with vintage cloth and although not vinyl (probably a nylon) they can be as hot and sweaty as vinyl. Not a fan myself on all cloth, no particular reason why.

9. White with red/
    Red with white

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

10. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Stay away from Black or Grey. Those colors have been so overdone. For what it's worth, most of my Projects Sell because of the Interior Treatment. People like something they wouldn't think of themselves.
    Are you going with Stock Upholstery, Semi-Custom, or Custom? The answer will dictate your color choices.
    Personally, I like things that Could Have Been Done by the Factory. Maybe as a Concept Vehicle.
    With that said, my choice would be for Red. All solid, no colored inserts or piping. The monochromatic look would be unexpected.

11. Tan colors look good with red. HRP

[​IMG]

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

I can tell most of you don't live in the south. Black is a no no even in a car with air!

How about cream and red? Dare to be different!

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I do live in the South, every car I have has black.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An off white/cream/vanilla if going two-tone. Red cars look good with many combinations .
    The look of a 57 Chev Bel Air design is great one and one of the best. I did my grandsons 79 Ranchero seat in that design when he was at USMC boot camp. A friend did a 55 Chev in the 57 design and it looks great and folks can't figure out why.

15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a red car I automatically think of contrasting or matching colors. Contrast would be Black or white/creme interior. A matching red would be nice too. Or some variation of red/creme/white. I saw a 65 gto that was red exterior, red interior, and had red line tires and for some reason that color combo was killer!

16. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

think that stuart in mn, and others, help provide you with a wide variety of options sounds like you are building a driver - would shy away from all white interior, unless it is toned down shade of white. really look at the blends of factory style with vinyl outter and cloth center. only use red of color of car as an accent. bottom line, do not rush into anything - there are businesses that sell complete kits with a variety of options - a lot will depend on your budget - maybe get a ball park idea from a reputable local upholstery shop - get what you, and better half(?), like

19. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

A friend told me in upholstery class the instructor said the best ones are 3 colors (and alot of chrome on trim is a color), so count the colors in that convert. Red, white, chrome. Look in a new car and there are three! A black interior with black dash & black carpet looks boring.

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, If you live anywhere that it gets sunny, you don't want a black interior, clothe or vinyl. For seat inserts use perforated material, breathes, (vinyl) or clothe for contrast w/vinyl. Have had them all, leather, pleather, vinyl and clothe, your choice will depend on your budget and the "Look" you are going for. Have never purchased a pair, at shows/swap meets I have seen late model leather bucket seats (take outs/wrecks) in great/good condition for $400/500 pair, IMO, is a great start for an interior on a budget, also as someone said and if your seats are usable, see if seat covers are available. Good Luck, Have Fun !

21. Ox Blood does it for me.

[​IMG]

osage orange likes this.
  22. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Thank you everyone for all of the replies!

I really like the idea of tuck and roll, and this seat in particular looks really sharp to me: IMG_0446.jpg
    Would a red car with a red dash, seats, carpet and headliner explode people's eyeballs?

mgtstumpy, Bandit Billy and Jeff34 like this.
  23. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Screw what someone else thinks, you're from Texas

Falcon H and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. Explode eyeballs? Well that's the purpose of everything we do, either burst eyeballs or fry brains.:D

[​IMG]

das858, Falcon H and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FH,

Since your car is a bright red/orange, almost every color in the book has been used in the upholstery. Black is standard for contrast, hides most everything, but it is extremely hot in the summer. White makes the whole interior stand out when your car is sitting outside in the sun or actually, in any weather. The white roof header panel and the package tray makes the whole thing brighter. But, the downside of white is that it has its own problems with tarnishes and discolorations from jeans/ and dark clothing.

We have had the stock red color, but that would not go well with your car. We have also had tan upholstery in the two front seats, carpeting, and the whole rear section of our 2nd 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. That was a good color combo. But, grey seats in a car looked neat and was the easiest to clean, while standing up to many little feet running all over the seats without any scratches and marks. What marks there were, came out with upholstery cleaner or a combo Lexol and Armor-All.

But, the a light, grey leather inside of your car with tan or a contrasting color for baseball stitching would stand out quite well.
    upload_2017-5-5_15-25-5.png upload_2017-5-5_15-25-20.png upload_2017-5-5_15-25-32.png
    Jnaki

You want a little individuality, not one that is a common occurrence in your neck of the woods. One thing for sure, you will get a ton of suggestions… But, your wife /girlfriend will probably be the one to suggest the right color and combination they like, which automatically is the one you like…or will like.