Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chitty upholstery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dsiddons, Jan 8, 2023.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Gonna try to do my own homemade upholstery. Gonna keep it simple to build some confidence. I’ve owned this comsew for years and have only been able to produce some very simple shitty examples with lots of imperfections. I have enough material now to do about 10 cars due to I keep changing my mind. My basement looks like a pro upholstery shop with old patterns and foam, carpet pieces laying around and a couple of shitty seats. Looks good from the courthouse

Attached Files:

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Hey, good on ya. Keep working at it. Not looking too bad my friend.

3. WhyW8

WhyW8
    from Sun City

I say go for it. I will also be attempting my first upholstery project in the near future.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I’d sit on that vs a spring any day.

SS327, mrspeedyt, Woogeroo and 4 others like this.

5. Driver50x

Driver50x

That looks good to me man. Get it on the road!

Budget36 likes this.
  6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The skills the pros have weren't acquired the first time they stepped on the pedal and fed material through the foot. Keep at it and don't beat yourself up! You NEVER get better by not doing.

7. Props to you!

chryslerfan55 and dsiddons like this.
  8. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Like Thomas Edison said, I never failed when inventing the light bulb, I just found a hundred ways not to do it.
    Looks great! Keep it up and keep the pics coming

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

"Looks good from the courthouse" has me laughing. I too, would like to be able to do upholstery, but I am pretty certain it is just like paint and body work, and we weren't born knowin' it. That said, that cushion looks pretty darn good, and I'd keep after it. Practice may not make perfect, but it goes a long way towards it.

chryslerfan55 and dsiddons like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in the 80's and early 90's I did partial upholstery jobs on several of my 32 Fords. I'd have the upholstery shop do the seat or seats plus I'd give him the measurements for the headliner. I would install the headliner, make the interior panels, door panels in a simple pattern that required no sewing and do the carpet all myself. I was pleased with the result and a couple of the cars were magazine feature cars. If I knew then what I know now I would have worked for free for the upholster and learned how to sew and do nice interiors and went into the upholstery business instead of the chassis business.

downlojoe33, vtx1800, -Brent- and 3 others like this.
  11. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Trying to get this door panel tweaked and not 100% on what I’m gonna use for fasteners. Got the Corvette door knob figured out and wondering if I can shorten this trim without messing it up or just use piping. Again over thinking everything again.

Attached Files:

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

For my uses it depends on what level the whole build is about. I bought an old commercial machine and sewed my interior on my '39 Chev coupe a couple years ago, but it's not a show car and I simply wanted nice interior, not roadster show interior.
    I'm happy with how mine came out, and would do it again if I build another car. I may not use my sewing machine again, except for repairs, or small jobs, but I'm glad it's here if I do need it.

[​IMG]

Budget36, tommyd, bymanr and 12 others like this.
  13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Now that’s really nice. Thanks for sharing

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

These two fasteners not my favorite. I need to go find the metal one that doesn’t slide into the panel but has more of just a round head. I liked how it popped in and wasn’t to bad of a hassle getting out using a generic tool.

Attached Files:

-Brent-, chryslerfan55 and hrm2k like this.
  15. Binkman

Binkman

I did the same thing as Krylon.
    I bought a Juki machine and do everything but the seats.
    I am still practicing and learning.
    YouTube is your friend.

dsiddons likes this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Having worked with a lot of fragile door panels (trim pads), I have learned to love plastic retainers, and just shear them off and replace them if I need to get behind there. Cheap and easy, a lot cheaper than tearing up the backing board or breaking an unobtainable piece of plastic.

Driver50x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

dsiddons: I have always used the metal spring clips you show in your hand. They are also what the upholstery shop that now does my interiors uses. I have found it easy to remove the panel with the proper tool. Over the years I've built quite a few cars and external screws, buttons and any type of fastener that shows have been taboo. I like them clean and smooth.

18. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Bought a Chinese binding tape attachment for the sewing machine for carpet. Wasn’t happy and the tape wasn’t wide enough so reordered a better one from Sailrite and got another 1/2” wider tape coming. See what I can do as far as edging carpet. You can see the stitch is a bit to close to the edge and the tool is just for 1” binding. By time I’m doing buying useless shit I will have enough tools and parts to open up a full blown upholstery shop minus the labor talent end of it. Maybe I can launder $$$ thru it some how.

Attached Files:

Jrs50, -Brent-, Fortunateson and 2 others like this.
  19. Here's some free advice for you new guys. I once did a headliner for a '37 Chev coupe using a cloth type fabric. After I got the thing nicely installed and was patting myself on the back, the owner noticed the material had a "nap" and one section of the headliner was backward from the rest resulting in a perceived color change. A hard lesson learned.

reagen, Jet96 and G-son like this.
  20. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

How you guys trim out this panel board? Shit is a bastard. I’m using a box opener. Any good suggestions please. Don’t have air in my basement.

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Binding is not a band IMG_5891.JPG aid. Keep the width slim.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I use an electric metal shear (Bosch 1500A) or you can use a jigsaw. Bought the Bosch 30 years ago for $300 +. Glad I did.

theHIGHLANDER and dsiddons like this.
  23. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Band saw hood idea thanks. Have a bunch of welt cord feet and found out my 3/16 foot won’t fit. Mounting hole is a bit off. Another lesson learned buying cheap shit off the internet. I would compare it to harbor freight and Snap On kinda mistake. I’ve been repurchasing the tooling from Sailrite and so far it’s been pretty good. So maybe tomorrow instead of using welt cord for the door panel I’ll watch some videos on the French seam unless I can get this trim shortened.

Attached Files:

reagen likes this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just chop off the left side of the foot if you are using that large welt cord shown in the pic. Buy the sponge rod, it`ll stretch, that large stuff won`t. IMG_5903.JPG

dsiddons and 2Blue2 like this.
  25. deucemac

deucemac

Howdy Ledbetter in Normal wanted to upholster his car, bought a upholstery grade sewing machine , read all he could, and then went to fabric stores and bought cheap remnant fabric. Since the fabric was super cheap, he experimented over and over until he figured out what to do. Once he figured it out, he upholstered his car. It looked so good, he started doing upholstery for other guys and the next thing you know, he's in business. It's an idea worth considering if time isn't a problem.

26. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

for door and other panel patterns, use spray glue and chip board (beer cartons to the layman). Use clecos to fasten the main body of the panel to the car, these cleco holes will end up being your panel clip holes. Cut and spray glue the finer details of the desired shape to the main body of the panel. Once your panel pattern is sorted, engineering clearance for the material to wrap around everywhere of course, transfer it to abs panel board and cut it out with a sheetmetal shear, some folks call it a double cutter. transfer your cleco holes and try it on for size on the car. make any adjustments with a flap wheel and a flet file. Next, remove one cleco at a time and drill out the hole for 7/32? cant remember, anyhow use auveeco 807 or 808 japan clips. These go straight in, no offset. work your way around the panel until you have all the clips installed, check the fit. Upholster to your wildest desires after that.

Flyineatride and dsiddons like this.
  27. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I'm learning upholstery as well. I also like the Auveco 808 clips. You drill a 1/4" dia. hole straight thru the door panel and the door, and the clips go straight in. They are metal and come out nicely if you need to remove the panel.

To me, upholstery is like painting and bodywork. Lots of ways to do things, and they all (mostly) work...

dsiddons likes this.
  28. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

here's some shitty upholstery. i'm gonna duplicate it for my car CIMG4600 (1280x960).jpg

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said above, electric sheetmetal shears for panel board. Not the scissor version, not those "muncher" types. For dressing the sides I've put self stick 80 grit board paper on a paint stick, "file" the edges to final shape sometimes. Yes I have run some thru the bandsaw a time or 10 as well.

-Brent- and dsiddons like this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I feel your pain.....I really ......really do.....

theHIGHLANDER likes this.