Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chicken Hawk destroyed in racing mishap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jessie J., May 10, 2009.

1. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

The famous "Chicken Hawk" '51 Studebaker raced by long-time Studebaker racer Ted Harbit was destroyed in racing a mishap at the Muncie Ind dragstrip, yesterday May 9th.
    Running the 1/8 th mile, at around 110mph a catastopic engine faliure caused the car to cross the lanes and roll ten times, and be impaled by by the 'win' light at the end of the quarter.
    Ted, who just last week celebrated his 74th birthday, is in the hospital being treated for various broken bones and injuries.
    He has owned and raced the the "Chicken Hawk" Studebaker for 47 years!
    More details and updates available at http://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1622

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Rolled ten times and impaled, AND lived to see another day? That's one tough old bird! Hope Mr. Harbit does well...not easy to recuop from things at that age.

3. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Lost my car there as well...same type of accident, but didn't roll 10 times..about 5 and ended up on ther other side of the guard-rail

4. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

In the link, it was reported that a rod was sticking through the pan. All the more reason to use a ballistic bag or at the least, a lower engine oil retention device with absorbent material. Sportsman bags are around $130 on ebay or a guy could cobble up an 0.032" aluminum tray with 2" high sides on it for cheap. Build it as wide as you can and at least from the damper to the bellhousing. Lay in some pig mat with expanded aluminum over it and pop rivet or sheet metal screw the expanded into place to keep the mat from blowing out.

NHRA requires a bag at 7.49 in brackets and at 9.99 for Super Gas and Super Comp. Personally, I'd like to see the rule extended to any car or truck with a roll bar. That would take the rule to 11.49. There's just no reason for catastrophies like Ted Harbit has encountered when you have inexpensive means to prevent them.

5. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

They didn't have ballistic bags back in the 80's when I rolled...They didn't have them on fuelers either..(I think)

6. oh man i liked that car! pics after?

7. jkperformance

jkperformance

you will find some pics on the Junior Staock thread

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, that's really is too bad, but glad he is ok. No worries on the car. Plenty of Stude stuff around to build as many as anyone would want. Just hope he pulls through ok.

9. studematt

studematt

[​IMG]

Man I hope he is ok. I remember reading about that car as a kid in my dads turing wheels magazines and being inspired as my first car when I was 14 was a 51 champ coupe.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Owch!

prayers for Ted Harbit

hard age to go thru something like that...hell at any age

Hope he comes thru this ok..
    keep us posted

11. found them.....it's a sad day when a legendary car get's wrecked :(

Attached Files:

12. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

So sad, hope hes ok.

As far as the chicken hawk.. No one wants to see it wreck, but at the very least Im glad it did it on the drag strip, doing what it was built to do, ..and not on a trailer..or by some knucklehead out on the road..

13. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

Man thats a bad wreck! Glad hes OK. Hope I'm still ablle to hit the track at 74!

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Wow, hope the old guy pulls threw to race another day! He needs to send his Stude to Jim Sibley, maybe it could be ready for next season!

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Wasn't he building a twin turbo Avanti some years ago? Whatever happened to that car?

16. rick finch

rick finch

He's lucky to have survived that one!

17. Holeee Shit!! Thats a bad one. I hope he comes out of it OK.

18. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Well from the look at the pictures of the car, thank God he's live! Its sad the car was destroyed but they made plenty.
    Lets wish him well in his recovery

19. I'll always remember that car as a very successful Jr Stocker

[​IMG]

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Wow, a legendary end to a legendary car. Ted, I'm raising my beer and toasting everything you and the Hawk did, here's to a speedy and complete recovery.

21. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

A sad day - great car. Best wishes to Ted for a full recovery.

22. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

The Avanti is still under construction, but I am sure that once Ted is better he will be working on it a LOT more. He said the Chicken Hawk was on what could have been it's fastest pass ever.

23. What a bad wreck,that car is mangled, hope he pulls through just fine.

24. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

That looks BAD!
    Wow...heres hoping he mends quickly...Damn...sad.

25. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

WOW! That was a nasty one...

26. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

the chicken hawk and mr. harbit are a staple in my memories of goin to the track as a lil kid...its deffinatley a sad day to see the pictures...the chicken hawk gave its life to the man that gave it its life....the stude gods were shinin down on ol ted yesterday....

i am thankfull that my ol stude was once owned and raced by mr. harbit. hopefully someday soon after the recovery i can take him for a ride in her once again......

27. what a shame, great looking car. Prayers to the driver.

28. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

29. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Man, glad Ted survived that one!

Alex.
    Loooong time lurker at alt.autos.studebaker

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Any word on how Ted is doing?