Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy waterpump on a hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shifts, Mar 22, 2006.

1. shifts

shifts

I finally got a blower intake for my 241 dodge. I knew when I put the blower on that I'd prolly have waterpump issues w/ the original pump & housing. So, I bought the chevy s/b conversion from hot heads. My problem is that the adapters dont fit flush. Has anyone else run into this? It looks like the timing cover must be modified? It lacks about 1/16" from sitting flush. DAVE

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

That's what you get for runnin a Dodge hemi! :D ;)

3. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Hey Shifts, whats causes a 350 turbo to "freewheel" in second? It accelerates fine, but does not retard the engine on deceleration. Thanks

4. If the Desoto adapter works anything like the Chrysler, you need to modify timing cover by eliminating the fuel pump mounting boss. If I can find pictures I'll post them for you.

5. shifts

shifts

I'd check the servo or 2-3 accumulator. Also the bandor band circuit. DAVE

6. dv8

dv8

I had to cut off the part of the fuel pump boss that got in the way of the pump. I also had to grind away some of the adapter, and some of the rim of the timing cover around the bolts. I also had to put additional aluminum spacers between the pump and adapter.

All that was to avoid having to change to the later, short cam, and use the aluminum cover. My adapter is the pump/motor mount combo.

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Any chance of using the LONG pump - maybe even modifying it. Granted a short pump with spacers would be better - off the shelf replacement. FWIW it's TIGHT on a chrysler with the short pump too - the stock timing cover won't work without mods - even the aftermarket ones are TIGHT.

I know you didn't ask this but just in case: When I converted my last one I already had a "good" dampener - the problem was that the Chevy pump has the lower outlet on the OPPOSITE side as the MOPAR unit - this meant that seeing the timing marks are near impossible which is why most people switch over to the other side - you can get dampeners already indexed for this, but I ALREADY spent my money on a "normal" one - what to do - I moved the marker over to the other side but the degreed dampener was a no go - after pondering it some the easiest solution was to use the NEXT wire for my timing light - since V8 motors fire every 90 degrees by moving to the next spark plug wire (#3) I could now use the OLD DEGREE marks on the dampener. Not sure if any of this will apply to your Dodge, but just in case!!

8. shifts

shifts

What are you using for spacers? Is there any way we could talk on the phone about this? DAVE

9. dv8

dv8

Sent you a P/M.