Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Vortec Heads Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Two-Gun Bob, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

Is it possible to use a non-Vortec intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer) on a Chevy 350 with Vortec heads?
    I seem to recall that the bolt holes are angled on the Vortec heads so can you just angle-drill the intake
    holes to get it to fit? Are there any other issues to consider? [​IMG]

2. You are correct about the bolt holes,the vortec bolts go straight up and down.Not sure if they are located in same place though.Also check to see if the deck height is the same and the block to head angle where the intake sits.Keep us posted as to your conclusion...curious minds want to know.
    DAN

3. i work on vortec engines quite frequently..

the only holes that are different are the two center holes on each side,, they go straight down instead of at an angle like the other bolt holes or like all of the holes on earlier heads

and as far as i know you can use an older intake on the vortec heads you just have to redrill the center holes... and provide flat surface for the bolt to shoulder on.. something that can be done on a large drill press with a spot facer, or you should be able to do it by hand if you are handy.

port alignment is not a problem,, or very minor at worst.. simple porting to correct alignment.

the upside is the vortec heads perform pretty well, much better than earlier heads for the most parts out of the box, and for a price that you just about cant beat. Seems like i have seen em for sale for about 150 bucks more than the cost of doing a quality valve job, on an old set.

lets see if anyone else can chime in on this one.

bob

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    the only holes that are different are the two center holes on each side,, they go straight down instead of at an angle like the other bolt holes or like all of the holes on earlier heads

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green">UH, My Vortec's have no center holes for the intake manifold.

The bolt diameters are different sizes and Vortec's are indeed straight up and down.

There is a difference in deck size or something somewhere as the intake manifold gaskets are ALOT thicker than standards.

If you drill those holes so that you can run the bolts straight up and down, you still won't have a flat surface for the bolt to draw down on.

Vortec intake bolts torque to only 11 ft lbs.

Pics.
    OLD school. (MAMA's 59) [​IMG]

Vortec's. (My 41)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RASHY </font>

5. 12packo94s

12packo94s

just to let you guys know as well you can get a cast or aluminum carb intake for vortec heads through mercruiser,,, they used this set ups on boats so there is a intake available that is ready to go out of the box, no mods needed to work on the car applications

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">Boats?

Why?
    I just went to my local speed shop and paid 149. for it and was done. </font>