Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Vacuum Advance question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67Imp.Wagon, Jan 25, 2005.

1. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Need to replace my vacuum advance on my distrutor. Did'nt think it was gonna be a big deal.2 screws right.

My problem is the 2 srews are hitting the bottom of the breaker plate that the points sit on.

I can rotate the plate enough to get the front one out but the back one still hits it.Is there a trick to this.

I know there is a clip that holds the plate down but after looking in one of my books it looks like the Shaft with the advance weights has to slide up to allow the plate to move up which means pulling the distributor out.

Just does'nt seem like this should be necessary just to replace a vacuum advance.

Am I missing something?Someone fill me in on the easy way to do this.

2. yes, that can be tricky to do....i've replaced the vacuun advance many times in chevy distributors without removing the point plate by using a small flat bladed screw driver held at an angle , BUT the distibutor was always out of the car..i can't imagine trying it while it is in and having to lean over a fender

pull the distributor and try it while the distributor is clamped in a vice with soft jaws or rag...you can turn the point plate easier this way to get access to the screws. if this doesn't help , pull the center shaft out so you can remove the point plate, not a big job...in fact pulling the distributor and replacing it is not a big job either

3. DrJ

DrJ

What he said....
    Just don't turn the engine over with it out and it should slip right back in.
    You're going to need to reset the timing, probably, anyway.
    And Chevy's want manifold vacuum, so set the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected, then plug the hose back in.

4. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Thanks for the info guys. Not the answere I wanted to here.I was wanting to here "Just flip that doodad up and it pops right out. I know its no big deal pulling the distributor out but I was just hopeing to get around it.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Here's your excuse to pressure wash that show motor so you
    don't get dirty taking it out. Bring it over tonight and
    we can get out the medium pry bar.