Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy turbo 350 problems.. any one else ever have this prob?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, Mar 29, 2004.

1. sawzall

sawzall

SO is this fatal? can I try to swap in a new filter and fluid and give it a shot or would that be a waste of my time and money?

thanks in advance

sawzall

2. 46mopar

46mopar

Even if you put a new filter and new fluid in it and it did work it won't last long. Pull it out and have it fixed or replace it with and good one so you don't have to worry about it.

3. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Saw ,I am leaning to the concluson the the trans is bad ,but you have about a 10% chance that the debire was lurking in the the trans cooler (radiator).Change oil clean filter and dont stray far from home.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Jeff, you drive the shit out of that car. I think I would bite the bullet and swap it out.

5. shifts

shifts

I agree with Flatdog & 46mopar, the trans looks like its had it. Are you capable of doing a rebuild yourself? If so , I have rebuild videos & books for loan to HAMB members.
    I can also fix you up w/ any parts you will need. Give me a call. DAVE

Netiger1 likes this.
  6. sawzall

sawzall

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeff, you drive the shit out of that car. I think I would bite the bullet and swap it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah.. its comin out.. shifts I'm callin you..

7. sawzall

sawzall

flatdog

the trans cooler was new last april as well!

8. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

No hope then.

9. 46mopar

46mopar

With all that metal in it make sure you clean out the lines and the trans cooler well or replace both to be safe.

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Damn that sucks. better to have it at the beggining of the driving season then in the middle. You car is just trying to tell you it is mad for you putting it away for the winter. next year keep it in the living room and start it once a week.

11. joe6pack

joe6pack

Hello all
    I am having a problem with my parts\car hauler TH350 4x4 and I found this old thread
    The problem is no forward action but reverse seems to work ok:confused:
    I first noticed minor slipping going up a hill the next day I couldn't even make it up the hill luckily it was close to home and I was able to turn around (on the hill) and make it home
    I checked the fluid -a little low but not burned -so I topped it off -nothing -I revved it up pretty good -barely moved -couldn't get out of the yard
    My question is where do I start? -can I check for clogs in the valve body etc. or am I tearing down\swapping? -it seems like line pressure is not engaging in drive -could reverse still work? I can rebuild the thing but don't quite understand enough to troubleshoot this one
    Also could over revving while manual shifting blow something out?
    Could have loosened something up
    I only ask because I may have gotten a little excited after a tuning session;)
    I'm just wondering if anyone can help me before the autopsy

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

always check the modulator and the vacuum hose going to it. see if it has a split in it..

13. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

the vacuum modulator has nothing to do with engagement into gear! IF the vacuum line was off , clogged ....... it affects the up shifting only.

IF reverse works good / great.... this indicates :

1. you have good pressure to operate the trans

2. the input shaft is connected to the forward drum and power is transfered from the torque converter to the trans. The forward drum drives the direct clutch in reverse with the direct clutch pack applied in "R"

Next:

Have you shifted to manual "1" with the shifter? IF the roller clutch is NOT holding , the vehicle will move forward properly in manual 1st gear.

IF the vehicle still does not move forward;

Your problem is in the forward clutch pack. The forward clutch is just that.... it applies in ALL forward gears. No forward clutch equals NO forward motion.

You might try removing the pan and look. Pop the pan back on , fresh fluid and see what happens... waste of time in this case, IMHO.

Pull the trans out and apart

14. joe6pack

joe6pack

I have not been able to shift to the lowest gear since I bought the thing only drive and L2 -the shifter seems to bottom out
    Of course the previous owner said the trans was rebuilt
    Could a clog in the valve body stop it from engaging forward?
    I will try to get it in L1 by fixing the shift linkage or doing it from underneath
    Thank you
    UPDATE: ok I got it in L1 -no change -won't even pull a little now!
    Could it be the clutches without burning up?
    Seemed to go all at once -What would prevent it from engaging forward? I guess the next step is to drop the pan and take a peak

15. joe6pack

joe6pack

What should I be looking for?
    I'd hate to take it out and tear it down only to find a blocked circuit in the valve body or some thing non terminal that could have been fixed
    Doesn't look like I'm going to start on it today
    Can anyone show me which port engages the forward clutches or any tests I can do to know for sure or suggest a website with "how to" pictures? I've never had one just quit like this without burning up or running dry
    Thanks