Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy truck question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddyman65, Oct 22, 2004.

1. caddyman65

caddyman65

So I bought a 63 chevy truck, the guy I bought it from (known as Hex on here) had changed the rear axle and it has a 5x5 bolt pattern wich is great because I want to take the torq thrusts off my Caddy and put them on it,but the front is still 6 lug,what would be the best and easiest way to change the fronts to 5x5?

2. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

my brother has a 63 and he is in the middle of doing the same thing. A 72-87 chevy fullsize front cross member will bolt right in, their cheap and not only will you get 5x5 but you will get power steering and disc brakes

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

and if i remember right the crossmember swap drops it a bit to. all the good tings you need in one package. those crossmembers are easy to get around here to. i'm trying to find a 63-66 fleetside longbed. i'm talking to a guy back home in alabama on a short fleet thats nice that i may settle for if we can agree on price. i've always loved those trucks. i really want a suburban of that era. i passed on one locally about a year ago and regret it. ran good but need a trans which i already had a line on $900. he lived way up in the hills and i lost his # and forgot how to get to his house. tried 3 times got lost 3 times. cool trucks...ken....

4. caddyman65

caddyman65

well my friend is about to cut up a 75 full size ,am going over on Sun. to take the whole front end from it. it would be nice if it dropped it some too as it sits pretty high up now

5. superchargednailhead

superchargednailhead

I have a 64 i put 71 spindles on it every thing bolts right up. You can put disc brakes on if you want to. Very simple swap. not sure if 63 is the same.

6. tomslik

tomslik

caddyman, if you need the 71-72 stuff, get a hold of me.
    i've got a pair of disc brakes/calipers/spindles but no booster or prop valve.