Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy torsion bar question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Wondering if anyone has ever dropped a front end of a Chevy truck with torsion bars WITH OUT using drop spindles!

If so, how much did you get and how.

2. Who cares ? Do ya got a question about hot rods?

3. OK, let me re-phrase my question
    Hi, I’ve been watching this board for about three years now and just signed up about a week or so ago.

I’ve got a question re torsion bars. I’ve got a 1960 Chevy step side with a straight 6 that I am going to dump on it’s nuts and was wondering if anyone here has ever dropped a front end with torsion bas before. I don’t want to use drop spindles if I don’t have to. See, the only things I’m planning to change on it is, drop it straight pipe it and put 3 deuces on it

If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it. If not, hey thats cool to.

Sorry for any misunderstanding

4. I gotcha Trip.............I had a 61 with a 283 in it and backed off the adjusters as far as they'd go...gave me about 2-3 inches which wasn't much IMHO. Still, it's free! Good luck.....

5. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

Hey Bondo Boy, did ya not see trips intro? he followed yer fucking INTRO RULES. honest question about a real truck.

6. sorry `bout that. I thought you were talkin` late model stuff. I didn`t know those trucks had torsion bars.

fwiw on my `68 Dart backing of the adusting screws netted about the same as Rocky - 2 or 3 in.

7. No I didn`t see his intro and they arn`t "my FUCKING intro rules"

8. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Its funny I see this post today.
    I signed on to ask the same Damn question. My buddy is going to sell me one very cheap and I want to go no buck driver with it. I am curious what has been done to these years suspensions. Also what is everyone doing for engine mounts for v8s on these. I know they had a front mount set up but That realy only works with standard trans w/ stock bellhousing cause of the lack of mount on the rear of the trans. Weird setup.

Anyway good luck with your truck. I will let you know if I find any info on these. Also I think that three dueces on a six is overkill. Maybee three single barrles?

SLAMIT

9. Right on guys, thanks for the input. Hell, 3 inches in more then I would have gotten with spindles. The biggest I could find was 2.5.

I just want it to be more ‘rod’ with as lil (if any) after market. Plus, you don’t see very many straight 6ers out there.

Thanks again for the input.

Hell, maybe I'll hit them with the tourch when I do the rear springs?

10. If you really want to get it down, change the front end.

1973-1987 half ton truck front ends will nearly bolt in. You will need a steering box adapter and a drill motor and bits as well as some hand tools. The 67-72 trucks are similar but have steel on steel control arm bushings the 73up trucks have rubber bushings. The lowering components are cheaper, dropped spindles are around 200 bucks and are of the 3" variety and dropped springs are about 80 bucks and will also lower you 2-3".

11. Mel

Mel

I just dropped my '59 dodge car 4" with torsion bars... and I can still lower it more without problems. But that may be a different story for your truck.

Just need to get the front re-aligned because that gave it a serious case of toe in.

~Melissa

12. thanks for all the input. looks like my torsion bar set up is on a spacer type setup so I'm gonna see what happens if I pull 1 or 2 of them.