Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy torque tube rear question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by droplord49, Feb 17, 2015.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Just wondering(yes I did a search). Is there a reason the pivot(where the housing mounts to the leafs) for a chevy torque tube rear is slightly forward of the axle housing center? The reason for asking is that I am building a 3 link for my 53 Belair. I've done several before and have always just made tabs straight down from the bottom of the housing to mount the link bars. I have never had any problems doing it that way, but I got to thinking last night why the originals were mounted the way they are. Any thoughts?

2. squirrel

squirrel

my guess is that it let them put the spring and axle closer together.

3. oj

oj

The tabs are ahead of and below the axle for mechainical advantage, the axle being the centerline rotating point is turning clockwise the tube wants to rotate counterclockwise so the tab being 'ahead of and below' the axle tube gives it a mechanical advantage. If the tab were on the backside it wouldn't have the same leverage.
    I know it is a torquetube rear but the forces are still present. Same with ladderbar or 4 link.