Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy three speeds ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick320a, Apr 25, 2008.

1. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

Did any of the chevy three speed transmission come with a synchronized low gear ?

2. R Pope

R Pope

Yep, the later Saginaw's are full synchro. Somewhere around '64, '65 they changed. Pickups used 'em too. Right up into the '80's.

3. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I was stuck on using a 3 speed in my T. I originally had a '57 Chevy 3-speed, but with no synchro in 1st and no trans crossmember mount I decided to go with the later model Saginaw. They are cheap! I have been beating the snot out of mine for a few years now and never had a problem.

DuckusCrapus

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Saginaw three speed with synchro low gear came out in the '66 models, and a Saginaw with overdrive was available from 1966-71.

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

My neighbor has a '57 and wants a synchronized 1st. Are there any mods needed, or are shift arms, yoke spline and length the same?

6. R Pope

R Pope

Not sure about drlveshaft length, but the front stuff all works, clutch, bell, shift linkage.

7. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

The only mod I had to make was to change the front bearing retainer on the Saginaw 3 speed. It had the larger diameter one on it stock ('70's something Nova). I got the smaller bearing retainer at a local trans shop for $20 new. They interchange with no mods.

If I remember right....I thought the '57 3 speed was longer than the Saginaw...but I didn't have a drive shaft made until I swapped transmissions. I am sure someone on here will know.

DuckusCrapus

8. i think the output shaft splines are different and the shift arm locations are way different.

Attached Files:

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I've had a lot of 55-64 type Chevy Muncie 3pds and later Saginaw 3 and 4 speeds around at the same time.They were all the same length,21 inches, give or take 1/4 , from the front mounting face to tip of the tailhousing.OD version ,the same length.Clutch input shaft the same.The output spline on the Saginaw is finer than the older 3 speeds,the shift lever shafts are quite different.They might be other lengths,I've never seen one though

10. DrJ

DrJ

Double clutching is traditional.. :cool:

11. Yes all the above info is correct the shift arns are different sometimes the front collar that the throwout bearing rides on is larger and the trans splines are different .however the length and clutch splines will work.The saganaw doesent have the same gear ratios it is faster in first than a 55 to 65 gear cruncher OldWolf

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The 58-64 "X" frame cars used the "short" Muncie 3-speed (like the one in the above photo). Other than those, they're all the same lenth. Saginaws have a lower first gear allowing you to run a taller rear gear; something to think about with the gas prices setting new records. The Saginaws also use the same fine spline output shaft of the "later" Glides, TH 350,Muncie 4 speeds (M-20 & M-21), 200R4, and probably other lower performance style automatics. IF you could find an overdrive Saginaw 3-speed, the overdrive can be used later to upgrade a Saginaw 4-speed. They can be converted easily so you have a 4-speed with overdrive.

13. Flop

Flop

bahhh 3rd into second then into first at a low rpm and you are usually good atleats in my 47 it works that way