Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy T56 to inline 250 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Imperial Wheeling Machine, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Hi guys, new member here. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the site but haven't found the answer to my question.

I'm building an Art Deco style roadster from scratch

[​IMG]

In keeping with the period, I wanted an inline engine. I've recently purchased a highly modified Chevy 250 (now 277) as well as a T56 6speed manual from a 96 Camero. The trans has a 1 1/8" 26 spline nose shaft.

I also got with the tranny a 5 speed flywheel. I understand the flywheel will bolt to the 250 crank. My question is this. The 6 speed has a 'pull' clutch that is relatively expensive and may/may not work with the 5 speed flywheel. I'm thinking it may be simpler to change the bellhousing and just go with a standard clutch.

Does anyone know what I would need to do this?

Thanks

2. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

It should be the same as any SBC t56 combo... there should be no differance in the clutch...

3. Snarl

Snarl

Your 250 would need a flywheel from an '84 or older V8 or L6 because the crankshaft is of the 2 piece rear main seal design.

What you use for a bellhousing needs to match what diameter you are using for a flywheel. Same goes for the starter.

4. Thanks for the quick replies. If I use a different bellhousing, can I use a 'normal' clutch/PP/Throwout bearing instead of the expensive PULL unit and the VERY expensive slave cylinder that seems to be unique to the T56?

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I have a t56 behind a flathead and used a gto clutch and a flathead throw out assembly.