Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Straight 6 problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody440, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cody440

cody440

So i just put a new oil pump in. Its a 53 216 low pressure motor. but when i buttoned it all back up no oil psi. After some trail and error it seems that the distributer is not fitting all the down into the grove in the oil pump. any one else have a similar problem and how did you fix it? thanks guys and help is much appreciated

2. R Pope

R Pope

Loosen the dist., turn the engine over by hand and press down on the dist. It should drop into place.

3. cody440

cody440

i forgot to mention it is meshing with with the gear and sliding into place but i measured on the distrib. and measured with it out and its not sliding into the pump

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Look at the bottom of the distributor shaft

See what looks like a big screwdriver blade?

That fits into a slot on the oil pump shaft - shine light down the distributor shaft hole and you can see it

They have to line up and fit together

And yes, the engine will run without the shaft being all the way down

5. cody440

cody440

yeah i had it running with no pressure. it just seems like it needs that extra 1/4 inch you know.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Loosen the clamp that holds the vac. advance to the dist. body then push down as far as it will go making sure it IS engaging the oil pump.