Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy stovebolt six, big bolt as well as small, calling all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by volvobrynk, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Gofannon

Gofannon

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I'm just bumping my own thread: in the hope that someone got more to ad.

Maybe about captain bars?
    What is the diameter of the distributor housing going in to the block?
    Is a dual point Malory an good upgrade, or should one put in breaker-less ignition?
    Or is breaker-less ignition point-less? Pun intended.

3. 261 in my Model A

The captains bars are on 261's above the stater and a second set on the left side just below the deck.

261's were used in 2 ton trucks 54-62 in the U.S.

However the 261 going in my Model A only has one bar above the starter, Only a Lieutenant?

I have read in 63 Chevrolet used the left over 261's up in four wheel drive trucks.

I have never be able to confirm this as a fact.

58-62 used a full flow full pressure oil filter. Using remote filter.

261's were also used in Canadian Pontiacs 55-57(?). I just picked one these engines

235's and 261's are the same stroke.

235 bore 3 9/16"

261 bore 3 3/4"

261's use a heaver rod with a larger piston pin.

261 also has steam holes in the head and block.

The following photos are of my late (58-62) 261 in my 1953 150 car.

This is also my Avatar

The Captain's bars
    IMG_1391.JPG
    1/2" N.P.T. oil lines in and out
    IMG_1392.JPG
    The stock Chevrolet remote oil filter
    IMG_1393.JPG

Steam holes in the head
    IMG_1394.JPG

Sorry about not replying before. I just found this thread.

I was never notified when you tagged me @volvobrynk

I hope this helped.

Robert J. Palmer

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Here's some ol thing laying around in ma shed. :D
    IMG_20151122_102916.JPG IMG_20151122_102808.jpg

I once owned a 48 Thrift master pickup. The engine was awesome, but used way to much gas. I sold it, and regretted it ever since.
    Great thread.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. The 261 use a larger piston pin.

I forgot this before. I fixed it in my first post as well.

6. Gofannon

Gofannon

My 261 came from a '60 Canadian Pontiac. It had a fibre timing gear and the same hydraulic cam as a 235. A 261 from a Chevy truck has a hotter cam, either the same or similar to a Corvette 235, with alloy timing gear.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is a nice looking bolt rigth there! So a 48 thriftmaster makes it a dipper 235?
    Came with a 4 speed manual?

So you pulled that one, installed an v8, and that used to much fuel so you sold the truck? Or did you sell the Six and those are the pics for the for sale add.

I like how tidy it looks!
    Two carbs should help a lot on the fuel economy. There was a some trike over here that ran two malee carbs then stock to destribute the fuel better.

The old truck mechanics used to say, if you got a slow Six give it more fuel and run different plugs, rather have two plugs almost drown then two all leaned out.

8. Yes the 261 truck and 235 Corvette use the same cam.

A fair amount of lift very little duration.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. LAROKE

LAROKE

This is the current state of my 235 blower stovebolt. It's in mock up currently. Engine will be pulled and freshened before this thing fires for the first time.
    [​IMG]

10. That engine is stock straight outer my 35 Chevy. I only painted it that color for fun, and I had a can of red, that looked Chevy orange.
    Don't know what to do with the thing.
    To give away to good home?

My truck, was years ago, it had a Blue flame engine. Sold it complete. There's a poc in my hot rod stuff album I think. Its blue with a flatbed.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

12. volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Side by side, 235 on left 261 on right. 235 bore 3 9/16" 261 bore 3 3/4"

GEDC2803.JPG

235 no steam holes
    GEDC2805.JPG

261 steam holes
    GEDC2804.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is thewater pumps different?
    Is the crank interchange able?
    Is the distributor?
    Are both pressurized blocks?

15. I posted some of this information a little earlier in this thread, however a little review never hurts.

The 235 and 261 use the same crankshaft.

Water pumps are the same however there are early and late water pumps.

235's and 261's use the distributor which is also the same as the G.M.C. Six.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is stolen from another thread;

[​IMG]

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Will there be any advantages to swapping a 261 head on a 235? Better compression?

Drilling steamholes in the 235 and adding the 261 head will always help, right? At least on water circulation/heat displacement.
    And is the 261 carb, to much carb for a 235? Even with a bump in compression?

18. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Your info is in reverse gear, the 235 head increases the compression, the #848 56-62/replacement head gives the highest ratio... If your engine has split exhaust manifold/headers, thinking the 261 carb would be worth trying. My '54 235 went noticeably lean after adding a split manifold, jetted it richer and it ran well.. dyno dave

19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So valve size is the same? Is there any advantages to mill the head for more compression?
    Is 10:1 a good idea or will it kick the crap out of the bearings?

Is the Weber carb (2bbl to 1bbl adapter) a good setup, it would it be better to get a 2x1 bbl intake?

20. Gofannon

Gofannon

I've just spent a bit of time researching all this. I have about 7 or 8 heads under my bench, only 2 are 848s, one 950 for my 261, and the rest 913s. Milling more than 0.060" means you'll need to recess the intakes which negates milling to gain compression. You can zero deck the block, but then the intake valve starts to interfere with the piston on bigger cams. My 848 heads are seriously cracked, and the only way to weld them is with oxy acetylene in a forge, which got me to thinking about filling the chambers. However, that's a lot of work and expense not to mention skill, and very high risk that it will crack again. Filled chambers might cause a few hot spots for detonation, and maybe the flow will be reduced. The route I think I will take is to leave the head pretty much alone, stock valve sizes, pocket ported only, and milled enough to clean it up and give about 0.040" squish with a zero deck. Then put the time, effort, and money into custom pistons. Zero deck, recess for intake valve, and a good size pop up for 9:1 or 10:1 compression. No need for an 848 head as all 235/261 heads have the same ports anyway. Any more than that you'd need to spend a lot of time and experimentation with a flow bench and a dyno.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Got a question about the difference in horsepower between the make years 56-58 and 59-62. The latest 235's have only about 135Hp at 4000rpm and the earlier have up to 145Hp at 4200rpm but what is different in the engines? They still have the same comp ratio 8.25? Is there another cam in the later 235s?

Sent from my D6603 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Can any of the pro's ID this?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seller just states; out of a Chevy.

I wonder about the rear distributor, and starter on the other side, the newish stock looking valve cover, the non spin on oil filter bolted up to what looks like a truck side motor mount, and the trans that look like a car trans with motor mount under the tail housing and not in the truck bell location and lastly the weird engine front cradle mount the doesn't look like a standard bowtie or Jimmy I've ever seen.

24. gas pumper

gas pumper

Could that be a Japanese version? Toyota? During WW2 they copied the Chevy after they took over a plant there and made their version of the Chevy 6 until recently. Could this be one of those?

25. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Casting numbers and dates would help. If it is a Japanese casting it will not have a GM on it.

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I just spend a lot of time Googling it, and he might be a little miss informed. It looks like a early fifties (54/55) Vauxhall Cresta 2.5 liter motor, bummer. And a Vauxhall/Bedford/Opel/Holden are all GM
    Brands and looks almost the same.

27. 1473549924468.jpg
    Can anyone help me identify this cam that I've got a hold of? Previous owner says he used it in a stock 235 but couldn't get the engine to run well at all(probably because the rest of the engine was stock) Maybe it just needs split headers and two carbs to make power. It's marked 264s at the back?

28. Road Runner

Road Runner

Maybe the 254/264 'Bulldog' cam from Delta ?
    They have a 254-S and 264-S grind pattern, and the combo which I run in my 261 with easier breathing dual intake and exhaust for a street driver.

It would be too much for a stock single carb and exhaust 235, and a sweet racer with dual intake and exhaust.

Check with them and email them the photo ....
    http://www.deltacam.com/

Here are the specs for that cam ...

254-264 cam.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    stoveboltswede and volvobrynk like this.
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Still no answer to this? That would be nice to know

30. No and I can't find any info on the Internet either...
    I've just bought two 1960 235's and wanna know if they are worth "playing" with

Sent from my D6603 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app