Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy steering box question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyway Hauler, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Just came in from workin on the old girl..('31 Chevy P/U) I was looking at the steering box, I opened it up, and looks definitly rebuildable. I was just wondering if anybody has used the original box on there Chevys. Turning it by hand it feels good, but really wide, just not sure how these boxes performe. Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, running a done 350 4-bolt, 4-speed, with stock axle and paralell springs.

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Don't have any idea on the original box, but if you decide to replace it, check out one from a 55 - 59 Chevy / GMC pickup. That's what I'm planning to use in my 34 Chevy coupe. It looks like it should fit with a minimum of work.

3. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Nobody else has tried to use an early Chevrolet steering box?

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I used the original on my 37 chevy p/u untill I put in the dropped axle,it was ok but I installed a 41-6 steering box and its alot better and bolted in.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i built my 30 chevy sedan and one of the things i was fortunate to do,was drive the car before the build started. even though this sedan was restored before i bought it, the steering was atrocious,sloppy,erratic at times. i too looked at the box and found no visible problems,so i assumed it was bad engineering and opted to shit can the old . chevy ad pickup steering worked very good.