Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy steel wheel question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rasputin, Apr 21, 2006.

1. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

Was there ever an OE stamped steel wheel that had a 5x4.75 bolt circle and a 3" center hole?

Just curious since I converted the bolt circle to the smaller pattern on my '62 Pontiac because I wanted to take advantage of the greater wheel selection that it offers. I have a bunch of A-body steels but they all have a 2.75" center hole and it won't clear the fullsize hub.

On the same token, would it be safe to open up the hole of my existing rims to the larger size? Would that compromise the strength of the wheel?

2. Can you just run a 1/4 inch spacer? I understand your question, but I am not aware of any "Chevy" pattern wheels with the bigger hole. You could open up the center hole without any strength issues, most aftermarket wheels are lug-centric, not hub-centric.

3. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

Hmmm.
    I didn't think of using a spacer. I have major rear wheel clearance issues on the fender side but the backspace on the OEs is usually pretty deep. It would be kickass if that works but I don't think my studs are long enough to get away with it.