Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy starter - special bolts for late small body starter on early block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 6, 2014.

1. I know I seen this posted here but ill be damned if I can find it. With a source and a part #.

The later small body starters have larger holes and the when mounted to an early block with 3/8 16 knurled bolts the starter walks around no matter what you do.

2. I found this -

be careful with this, the later starters use metric bolts, while the 454 blocks are US thread. Make sure to get the correct bolts....I'm running a 99 3500 454 starter on my 55, I got the correct bolts from the dealer, they have a metric diameter on the shank, and US threads. They're funky looking, and they work perfect.

But no part numbers - still looking

3. And I found this -

.Sorry for not answering to the topic at hand but I'd like to coment about Mini Stater's. I will only use GM metric mini starters, all you need is the correct bolt's (metric shank, SAE thread). Never had any issue's with these unit's.

Again no part #s

4. Had similar problem. If you're using the staggered bolt pattern and the small GM starter with equal length bolts, they are for a 4.3 V-6, according to the dealer. Sorry, but I didn't save the bag, but I'll double check.

5. image.jpg

There they are,
    GM 12338064.
    $1.58 each.
    Metric shank 3/8 -16 thread.
    Noticeably less slop and tighter in the small body starter.

6. squirrel

squirrel

dang, I should have put the part number in there, sorry!

lol

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

But those are 4.33 long, where are the 3.7 long ones,-n- there part number...?

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ARP Starter Bolt Kits 430-3502

9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Thanks gimp, got those part numbers, cant locate the ORIGINAL gm part number, just yet....
    probably obsolete.

10. 14037733 is 1.33 long