Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy starter interchange???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KreaturesCCaustin, Feb 10, 2009.

1. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Ok, I did a search here and on Google and can't find the answer I need. My '87 Chevy 305 (Camaro engine) that I have in my '62 C10 blew up, so I'm replacing it with a '77 350 from a pickup. I know the flywheel will need to be changed, but can I use the same starter or will I have to fork over the $$ for a new one? The one I have is only about 3 months old and is in perfect condition. I'd hate to have to buy another one. I'm broke like everyone else. Thanks for your help.

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

should fit, im pretty sure theyre the same, except the 400, but im not 100%

3. Keep

Keep

Check the bolt pattern. Some were offset, some are straight across. Then some had both. I ran into this with a newer starter and a 79 block. 79 is offset, the starter was straight across.

4. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Pretty sure mine has both sets of holes, if I remember correctly. I'm just curious about any issues with distance from the bendix to the flywheel.

5. sdluck

sdluck

Nose cones are most of the time only thing thats different,so swapping them will usually take care of problem.

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

just checked. my '72 307, my '73 307 and my mid '80s 355 have offset starter bolts. dunno if that helps. that should be the only factor, along with flexplate/flywheel being the same diameter

7. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Do you have a GOOD starter/generator/alt. rebuild shop in your area? I had a long term problem with a starter on a SBC; after several starters, every combo of shims, and much swearing I took it to the best performance shop in the area. "Just a shim problem" I was told. After two days and a different flexplate they took the starter to the good rebuild shop we have in town. They pointed out that some chevy truck motors came with a non generic starter. They got the right one by using block numbers and I haven't had a problem since.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I doubt it, the newer 1 piece rear seal motors mostly use 153 tooth flywheels, older ones use 168 tooth. if you can, get one from a junk yard with the bracket on the tail end and have it rebuilt. new nose castings are junk.

9. squirrel

squirrel

The flywheel size depends on the application...there are large flywheels for the one piece rear seal engines, and small flywheels for the older 2 piece seal engines.

If you use the same size flywheel, you should be able to use your old starter. If you change flywheel size, you need to change starters.