Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy Small Block Motor Mount Measurement

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bartmcneill, Oct 29, 2016.

1. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Can someone confirm that the distance between a Chevy 350 small block motor mount bolts are 16.5 inches apart? I've looked for an hour for this information and I know I am not good at searching but I think this is the measurement I found on a Nova Website. I have a Pete and Jakes frame that I have to install a new front cross member in and need to know the measurement between the engine mount holes for certain. Really want the engine to go back in right.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

3. thepoz57

thepoz57

why not use an engine hoist and blocks to mock up the engine where you want it? your motor mounts are going to dictate the exact distance, and each set brand of mounts are different. that way you can tack weld it in, remove the engine and weld it up. it will be exactly where you think it should be.

swade41, wedjim and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Depends what mounts you use, there are a few different ones.

I can't imagine trying to build motor mounts without having the motor and everything else in place, so I can put them where they belong.

5. if you are using the motor mounts that pete & jakes recommend 16-1/2 will work fine..... i have a fixture i made to hold them to that

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  6. This ^^^
    For sure this

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've opened the link but since I'm not knowing what to look for can you tell me/us which application so I/we can see this 16 1/2" that is important but not important enough to use a mock up block. I think once this is out in the open all will be revealed.

9. click on 2005 and you will see that 16-1/2 dimension he is looking for

i don't think anyone is trying to avoid using a mock up engine block , but rather how wide the mounts are spaced apart

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I agree. I feel the OP is just making sure what pete and jakes suggests is legit.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Well, they surely covered themselves as far as assembly is concerned.

13. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

I can tell you first hand that every single thing I tried to do on my car, without correctly mocking up the parts I would use, had to be redone, with the parts I was using later.

I thought I was saving time. Cost me a ton, but I learned the hard way like we all do the first time.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41 likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Guy's and Bart. After rereading the original post. It appears the engine was already in and Bart cut out his original cross member to be replaced with a pete and jakes crossmember. Bart, if this is the case buddy. All you had to do was temporarily weld some steel to the your motor mounts to keep your spread from moving or note the measurement prior to any cutting. Tell you what. Get some scrap what ever to be C-Clamped together to create a U shape that can be presented to your engine's motor mount's. Now you can pencil mark your spread from your motor to your frame if sitting your engine back isn't what you want to do. Good Luck

15. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Wow, Johnny Gee! I never found that page. Told you I am not good at searches. And you are correct. Removed the engine to replace the front cross. I am about to install the new front cross and want to be certain, for sure, the motor mounts are the correct distance. Should be OK by measuring frame but don't want to take a chance.

Attached Files:

16. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Ahhh, makes more sense seeing that. No cross bar bolted in the front frame horns?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I didn't find it, Big Duece did on post #7. All I did was ask him to narrow down the search as I didn't know what I was looking for.