Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chevy rotor to ford spindle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29AV8, Jan 2, 2016.

1. 29AV8

29AV8

Anyone know of bearing numbers from napa to adapt chevy rotors to 38 ford spindles? I am going to
    fab my own disc caliper adaptors. Thanks

2. I'd like have that list too

3. Me too. I went through this in the 70's 80's then again on 06. Nothing found that was a direct Race, Roller and seal to get there. I still end up making the spacer. We can always hope for a new Factory app that will do the job.
    The Wizzard

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

All the disc brake kits I have seen use an adapter of some sort

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup.

6. Firecat7

Firecat7

there are none....need the spacer /adapter ring. why don't some enterprising CNC lathe guy make these n pedal them on the HAMB ?

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I priced a kit once without rotors, so it was just adaptors and caliper mounts I think it was under 100 it would be tough to make that stuff for 100 and make money new rotors at oriely are about 35.00 , now you still have to buy bearings ... Nother 20-40 .... Seals...10 caliper 20 ea where we at? 230ish ?... Lot of runnin to save about 20 bucks

8. Inner bearing #L68149
    Outer bearing #LM11949
    Seal #18562

You will have to make an adapter sleeve to space it out and it will need a thick washer (spacer) under the nut. You can get them from Speedway.

Scott likes this.
  9. I used the disc brake kit from ECI that basically consisted of the caliper bracket that bolts on where the original backing plate bolted up, hardware, and a spacer that pressed onto the spindle. '73-'77 Chevelle and other midsize GM rotors and calipers from the junkyard (this was 30 years ago when mid-70s stuff was still plentiful in the junkyards). Uses the wheel bearings that came with the Chevelle rotor and hub assembly. The instructions said to use Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare rotors and hubs if you wanted a Ford bolt pattern, Aspen/Volare bearings and such are the same as the Chevelle.

10. 29AV8

29AV8

Thanks what does this adapter sleeve entail. how far does it need spaced out?

11. Sounds like you have never seen what it takes to put Disc on an early spindle so I'll stick up some photos of a same style project I did a while back for a Customer. This was putting Mustang rotors with G.M. Calipers on a 1936 Cord. Still the same results. Fortunatly the spindle shaft is undersize and longer that we need. Much the same as a Ford spindle for the same job. Here is the stock shaft. P1010069.JPG
    I need to space the Rotor out or away from the flange so here is the inner spacer. It does 3 jobs in one part. Shim's up for inner bearing I.D. Makes the inner bearing seal fit and moves the Rotor out the necessary amount. Add to that it needs to be a press fit on the shaft.
    P1010071.JPG
    The outer bearing also needed a shim. Somehow a photo didn't get snapped but I'll describe it best I can. It looked like a Large T. The race shim part was .080 thick and the Head or part that the Spindle washer went against was .130 thick all in one piece with a lock tab on it so it wouldn't spin on the shaft. The caliper mount was one from a Ford kit to start with.
    P1010072.JPG
    It had to be modified to fit the Cord backing plate bolt pattern and put the caliper over the Rotor in the correct centerline position. This is the new blank
    P1010075.JPG

Starting to get the picture? There is a lot to understand about what your doing to get it right. I was able to steel the hard part from the Ford Kit. Believe me, it would have been a lot less $$$ for this customer if we could have just Bought him a Kit. Even though I can build them when it comes to my own projects I would Buy a kit long before I would make it.
    The Wizzard

31Vicky with a hemi and Montana1 like this.
  12. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

you might try Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC, they sell bracket and bearing adapter kits. All the conversions I have done req'd bearing adapters.

13. Just in case anyone is paying attention here,,,
    Hubs that are for "Strange" spindles are actually identical to camaro.
    If you need or want to put strange wheels or brakes onto your old ford axles
    This is the info you need.

I've not seen it done without the adapter 3 jobs in one piece. That's the key to making it work.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Now THAT'S good to know! Gary

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

speedways complete kit part #91031940 229.99. just put one on my coupe and just bought one for my convert. s-l400.jpg comes in 5 on 4 1/2 or 5 on 4 3/4 or 5 on 5 1/2

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

You can buy the bearing adapters from Speedway separately.