Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevy power or dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jerrybigbird, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

So I've been building this ccr t bucket frame and I'm nearly done so it's time to get serious about the drive train ... I have a 350 chevy on the engine stand but I am missing the flywheel and everything behind it. On the other hand I have an old jamboree camper with a dodge 360 and a 727 complete drive train. What do you guys think. I could keep moving foward if I use the camper for my donor car or get put on hold while I scrounge more parts for the Chevrolet drive train .

2. If it gets you going,yes.

3. squirrel

squirrel

How much work will it take to make the motorhome stuff look good in that car?

4. Dare to be different!

5. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

That's kind of on of the trade offs I got a lot of real cool parts for the 350 like camel backs ( they are not on it yet ) velvet covers and chrome stuff galore

6. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

But this is kind of where I'm at I think if I just build it clean that dodge stuff will be fine and 350 are kind of like bellybuttons

2racer likes this.
  7. Just think, you could have the only T bucket in town without a SBC.

Drunk Man, Jerrybigbird and Fingers like this.
  8. ned5049

ned5049

Use the Mopar. Something different for sure. My first rod had a 361-315 hp/727 and 8 3/4 rear. Dress up stuff is out there.

9. 35desoto

35desoto

Go for the Dodge. The motorhome engine were not that visibly different from a car engine - anything you can do the passenger car engine you can do to this one. And yes I am biased - Mopar or no car. Plus as others have said - everyone does a Chev - be different and get your kicks up front! If you really get into the design of a Mopar they can make more horsepower than the Chev - You just have to open your eyes and mind LOL

10. AndersF

AndersF

11. stimpy

stimpy

do the MOPar , the 360 is like the 318 one tough cookie , and the 727 is almost bullet proof except if you blow that one sprag in it ( breaking a driveshaft ) and it will be different and there is hop up parts for the 360 ( 340 heads and cams work great in them if you cannot find a set of W2's or w5's ) its basically the SBC of the mopar guys

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Motorhomes have truck engines that are good for hundreds of thousands of miles, but they usually get retired with well under 100000. I have a 1980 model in my driveway with 30000 on it.

So, use the Dodge if you like. Not that much difference in overall size and weight, maybe an extra 100 pounds for engine and trans. Pulling a light weight roadster, it should have a life span of 300,000 miles or so. Not much difference for the install since you are building everything anyway. You won't be able to use the Chev parts you have on hand but at least you will be able to drive it. MH is probably a 4 barrel engine with no smog devices that puts out about 250 - 300 HP. Plenty to get around with.

The usual dress up accessories are available for the Dodge but a little more expensive that for a Chev. Not saying you have to buy everything at once, maybe pick stuff up at flea markets as you get the chance.

Your Dodge dealer offers an excellent line of hop up and dress up parts (cams, valve covers etc) developed by factory engineers to OEM quality specs.

13. squirrel

squirrel

It'll be interesting to see how you get it all put together and working. You might find a few unexpected challenges. But as you've seen, there are plenty of folks here eager to help you figure it all out.

14. stimpy

stimpy

oh and another thing about Mopar , there performance group has a Bible ( the old performance guides ), they are the best money you can spend as they are proven combinations and solutions to problems as they were developed by the guys who race and engineer there products . you can get them at the dealer or thru the large speed shops . if you can find the old pre Iococa days books ( most guys will not give them up while they are alive ) those have old 340 , RB and Hemi recipes ( 92s and 26's) in them plus part numbers , the later books have less info .

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

use the mopar and post some build pictures

2racer likes this.
  16. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

K so I pulled the motor out of the camper today and it is sitting in the frame tomorrow I build motor mounts and as soon as I get that done I will get some pics taken thanks for all the responses I'm kind of a chevy guy but this time were gonna try something new!!