Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

I messed with 32/36 Webers a lot back in my SCCA and mini-stock days. From 1000cc Fiats up to 2.6 Mitsubishi's. They are great carbs. Probably a bit small for a 2.5 liter motor but for the RPM range of the Chevy 153 it's probably ideal for the street. What we need is a 32/44 :)

I'm trying to find an early mail jeep with one of these motors :) Don't tell the wife LOL

As for the ticking, if you are talking about lifter noise I think it's due to the lifter gallery being on the side of the block on the inline motors instead of being buried down in the middle of a V8.

2. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Drew checking to see if ya have had time yet to get mesurements and more pictures thanks

3. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Yes got more pics today i am going to e-mail them to you.

4. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

thanks drew

5. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

That would be a nice carb. She pulls up to 6 grand with out and issue but it does start to drop off aroun 4500 ish.

I was thinking of putting on a side draft set of carbs like someone on here posted. Not sure of the daily driver ability of that though.

6. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

The problem with DCOE's [ aka Weber sidedrafts ] is the cost of the individual jets, venturi's, emulsion tubes, etc. You could easily spend $300 or $400 on brass on top of the carbs, air filters, fuel pressure regulator and manifold. Speaking of fuel pressure regulator,,,, you should check your fuel pressure and if you have more than 3.5 psi you should install one.

7. dawford

dawford

Today I pulled the head off a 181 and found water damage in the front hole.

This engine has .030 pistons in it as it is.

I am wondering how much overbore can I go?

I don't overbore engines any more than I have to because I like to be able to rebuild them in the future and the slight increase in output on a more or less stock engine isn't enough to induce me to waste that opportunity.

From what I can see from the top it looks like I might have to go to .050 over.

If I do have to go that much will I still have enough to go to .060 for a rebuild.

I have other engines and could retire this block if that is best.

I don't want to invest in the parts to build an engine that I can't depend on being rebuild-able.

Dick :) :) :)

8. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

I would try to find a std bore block. Here on Craigslist there was a boat and trailer that had one of these motors and the guy was asking $300 for the whole works and it sounded like the boat had decent care during it's life. There are probably similar deals out where you live.

There is always the possibility of sleeving that hole.

9. dawford

dawford

ray-jay,

Thats where I got this one.

Several of the engines that I've got have water in the block and have set for some time.

I have several that didn't have any water in them and I think they will be runners the way they are.

I was just pulling the 140 head to put it on a 120 block but thought I should save the block for a rebuild.

I would like to know how much someone on the HAMB has successfully bored their 140.

Dick :) :) :)

10. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

who else here has a Chevy II 153...let's see some more pics and info please...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. This is the best one I have seen..its in Jersey Suede's 29 Pickemup!

Attached Files:

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Heres my 153 backed by a t5 sitting in my '37 PU project.
    [​IMG]

14. derbydad276

derbydad276

I got one ..... who wants it?

pm me

15. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

Looks like a dual pulley. Did it come with that or do you know where to get them? I have added A/C to my nova and having a hard time locating a pulley that will work.

16. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

Do you have or are you building a Nova with a 153? What kind of pics you looking for? I have a ton from the build.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Yep its a dual. Motor came from a 70 postal Jeep and it originally had a smog pump hence the dual pulley. Pulleys from a 194, 230, or 250 six will work so look for one at a wrecking yard that had a smog pump, power steering, or AC.

18. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

I tried a 194 crank pulley and it was way off. It mounted but the belt didn't come close to lining up with my alternator. The search for a postal jeep begins. :D Thanks for the info.

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Why don't you pull everything off the front of a 6?Pulleys,Alternator etc. so it all matches up.

20. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

Well that would be to easy! Yea I am going to look at one this weekend, make sure the alt bracket will fit or just easier to mod my own. A/C will be nice. 90+ degree days here in the summer and she's my daily driver.:eek:

21. these engines are entirely different from the "Iron Duke"....the Chevy 2 153CID is based upon the seven main bearing sixes that replaced the older 235 sixes....they are just two cylinders less...and they have a SBC/BBC bell housing pattern.....Comp Cams makes several different cams for it...Clifford makes 4bbl intakes...the Iron Duke is a 'crossflow" type cylinder head.....this means the intake on one side, and the exhaust on the other side....the 153CID four has both manifolds on the same side...they are both 2.5 liters....but don't confuse the two.:cool:

22. Zakk_BR

Zakk_BR
    from Brazil

Hello Guys!
    I was looking for a good camshaft for my 151'' (don't forget that GM of Brazil have modified the original 153'' to 151'') and have found this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ISK-251270/

More info about it can be found in the catalog in the Isky website.
    Someone already use this cam?
    I guess I'll have to buy new valvle springs and pushrods too, right?
    I'm planning to use it with a couple of single carburators, with about 170cfm each.
    The original cam runs about 800~4400 RPM, so is very boring haha...
    Thanks!

Izak Silva.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Not bragging,but I have 3. 2 are for trucks like Jersey Suede's and the other is for an actual "Bo Jones Modified", that he started,but sold as a project.
    These engines are pretty cool!!!!! Parts can be found most anywhere.

24. young olds

young olds

Does anyone know the combustion chamber cc's on a stock 153 cylinder head is?

25. Truckedup

Truckedup

I been reading this older post for help with my current 153 build.I read some info that might be incorrect.There's mention that the 153 pistons are the same as a 282 or 307....Not true,according to Sealed Power catalog...the 153 piston has a higher compression distance,exact same as the 230 6 cylinder.Using a stock 307 piston might have the piston down in the hole too far.

26. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep 283-307 have the same bore BUT the 153 does use the 230 pistons. 153 really is just 2/3s of a 230.

27. A Boner

A Boner

28. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Joe Mondello used to live here. I had a few occasions to speak with him. He told me that he used to build these engines for roundy round cars. He invited me to his shop and told me he would show me how to build 300 hp out of one of these little guys. Always busy chasing a buck and never went. I wish I had gone now.

29. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"I been reading this older post for help with my current 153 build.I read some info that might be incorrect.There's mention that the 153 pistons are the same as a 282 or 307....Not true,according to Sealed Power catalog...the 153 piston has a higher compression distance,exact same as the 230 6 cylinder.Using a stock 307 piston might have the piston down in the hole too far."

I just checked my old (1983) TRW Performance Components catalog.
    The 230 and the 283 both list piston number L2275F pistons for performance and L2163F for OEM.

I used '57 283 pistons in my '62 153 when I rebuilt it in 1974.
    The pistons were identical.

The pistons could be used in both the 4/6 cyl and the V8 because the rods are different
    lengths.

30. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

I worked in a couple gas stations in the 70's (remember they had garages in most of them then?) for about 5 years. I saw ONE in a 4 door '69 Nova. This guy also had a '69 Vette and a '69 Lincoln. He drove the Nova as a beater. I have never seen another.

My 2 cents,
    Dan