Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy Kingpin Replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Jul 24, 2018.

1. My 1937 Chevy sedan still has the original front beam axle. If you grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it you can see the kingpin move. To replace them do you need a big hammer or is a press and or torch better? I've replaced tons of ball joints but never tried kingpins so I'm trying to figure out what I need and need to know

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. There should be a pin that holds the king pin in place. Drive out the pin, usually from front to back. Once that pin is out, you should be able to drive the king pin out from the bottom. There might be snap rings on the bottom and top, just depends. If it's loose, those kingpins should come out no problem. You will need new king pins and bushings. the bushings will need to be reemed after installation in the spindle. You can do this by hand with a reamer the correct size, or take it all to a machine shop and they will machine the bushings to fit the new king pins.

greasemonkey54 likes this.