Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Idler Arm Kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Dec 6, 2011.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I am getting a pin and bushing kit for the idler arm on my 51 Chevy. Do these kits need to be machined? Or does it go together like a kingpin with no honing required.

Thanks!

2. Check the shop manual. I am 99% sure it needs to be reamed. Todd

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The kit I put in the idler arm of my '53 just slid together without any need for sizing.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may depend on the kit you get but if the pin needs to be fitted I'd take it to an automotive machine shop and have the bushings honed to fit on a Sunnen (style) hone.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Funny, I had to ream the kingpin but not the center link.. although they practically work the same. If it need reamed just use a brake hone and your batt powered drill. Run it under a little water while you hone and check fit every so often. Worked well for me on the kingpins and doesnt cost much $$

6. The kit I put in my '52 had to be honed, local machine shop did it.

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

Just did my 50 Chevy. They need to be reamed, could probably take your time and use a brake hone, or if you have a machinest friend just borrow a reamer. I used a reamed, no big deal. Tons of difference driving it.