Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy I6 Throttle Cable Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klutchmaster427, Jan 9, 2012.

1. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

I've got a 230 I6 in my '52 Chevy. I just swapped the original 216 for the new 230 and I'm now about to hook up the throttle linkage. Carburetor is a Rochester BV 1bbl. Has anyone used a throttle cable on one of these carbs before instead of the original mechanical linkage? I was considering buying one of those aftermarket gas pedals / throttle cable kits, but was wondering if anyone could offer tips, advice, or general comments about the process with these carbs or just in general.

Thanks!!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a cable thottle on the 250 in my 48 but don't remember right off how I set it up. That was done in a three week thrash to get it from bare frame to driving truck in 1989 but it worked great for 100,00+ miles. I've got a 74 engine though and probably used the 74 Pontiac Ventura throttle cable that came with the engine.

3. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Well that gives me somewhere to start. I'll see if I can find anything on that pontiac engine and maybe I'll find some pics that would help. If you have a chance to post some pics of yours that would be great too. What type of carb do you have on top of it?

4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Don't trust this guy, he will buy this from you and then say you didn't ship it in order to try and get it off of you for free. A total liar. He will pretend that everything is fine to your face and then turn around and stab you in the back when you arent looking.

5. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

I converted to a cable ,I bought a kit from Lokar Im very happy with it.They are billet alluminum but they come anidized black also. Was a snap to install and the quality is nice.Im running a Afb on my 235 and this worked out great..Around $170 bucks

6. '74 Ventura is the same as a Chevy Nova.

Really, any pedal with a cable out of the junkyard will work if it's long enough. You just need to get the carb linkage piece with the mount for it. I've had dickheads turn up their nose at asking $30 for a used one with a decent looking pedal on it at the swaps.

7. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

Sometime's it's hard to find even a decent pedal for $30! I'll go dig around the pick-a-part yard when I get a chance.