Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chevy Hardtop Chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Grant_Maclean, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

So the time has come to cut the roof up. I've never done this before so I'm sure I'll run into a lot of problems but I can no longer stand looking at the ugly roof line.
    This photo was taken a few weeks ago, just after I got back from Greazefest. Roughly 1400km trip over one weekend, big trip for a 216.
    [​IMG]

2. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Car stripped and braced.[​IMG]
    Roof off.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Likely a very difficult car to chop, I hope you have done your homework. If it goes south you could always do a roadster or convertible as the the Bel Air and convertible shared many attributes.
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Larry_Ernst's_1951_Chevrolet

4. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

I have done a fair amount of research. I've looked at every chopped hardtop I can find to decide how to go about it.

Turbo26T likes this.

5. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

[​IMG]
    Found this when I stripped it down. So that set me back a little while. Had to do both sides.

6. CadMad

CadMad

Go Queenslander!

Outback likes this.
  7. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

[​IMG]
    New section welded in.

I decided to keep the original rear glass and sink it into the quarter panels. It has, and will continue to make a whole heap of work for me. But it will make getting glass easier and I can't really afford to get the rear glass cut at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rear screen screwed in place ( Clecos are for rich people)

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and straykatkustoms like this.
  8. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

[​IMG]
    Paper pattern of the cat walk area. I think there's about 4"going into it.

After I made the new catwalk section I ripped the paint off to find this. Pretty annoyed as I would have made the catwalk section completely different. Next time I'll be taking the pant off first.[​IMG]

Panel laid on. Going to make those end bits separate.
    [​IMG]

9. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

So because I don't have these quarter panel tops, I need to make them. I don't want to just migweld a heap of crap together, so I'm laying down this body filler. I'll make a rough shape out of that then I can take a paper pattern from it. Then basically use the car as a buck to a certain extent.
    [​IMG]
    This is where I'm up to now ( ran out of body filler)
    It just needs a little more then I can take the pattern.
    [​IMG]

10. CadMad

CadMad

Just dont leave those tech screwsin your pocket or your missus will go off when they get stuck in the washing machine. Looking good.

kiwijeff and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Side profile.
    I've take 3 3/8 out of the front, and 3 1/2 out of the back.[​IMG]Not sure if I'm happy with where that rear screen finishes, it's almost too high and doesn't line up with the side glass. Problem is, if I take it back it makes that side 'V' part too wide. If I just tilt the glass back then the glass it too up right. These are the problems with keeping that rear screen.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. CadMad

CadMad

I use heavy flooring vinyl to make templates. do you have access to an english wheel? Those side panels would be verystraifht forward

Frankie47 likes this.
  13. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Hey mate. I do have access to an english wheel, kind of. We have one at work, but because my car is at home it's hard to do. I was just going to beat it into a sand bag then planish after that.

14. CadMad

CadMad

rps20140827_103742.jpg Wish typing on my ph was straight forward. I just made similar pieces for my 39 on an english wheel in 20 mins. Otherwise panel hammer and anvil . Doesn't look like your neighbors are in earshot.

15. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

What kind of wheel do you use? I've been wanting one for a while but I don't really want to buy a cheap one. I suppose I could just buy the good quality wheels and build the rest, that's what the boss did.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Looking good! (I love the Olds caps.) What's under that welded hood?

17. CadMad

CadMad

I just have a chinese $400 cheapy. there is a bit of flex in the frame but I have made everything I ever set out to on it. I wheeled up a helmet for my son out of 1.2mm maybe if I felt like it I could make a stronger frame but it does what I need. I'd only use a sandbag and mallet on a more convex shape. I'm no expert just do it till my eye says it's good.

18. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

The hood actually isn't welded (yet). The guys who did the car in the states just tacked it in a few spots and bogged it up. When I get around to it I'll make up a peaked section and oxy the whole lot in.
    It has a stock 216, split manifold with straight pipes.

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Keep it up. Looking good so far.

20. oldolds

oldolds

I think I would take a bit more out of the rear of the roof and put in a small rear window out of something like a 40 Chevy. No matter what you do it is a lot of work.

21. sa1217

sa1217
    from keyport,nj

Archives

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. atomickustom

atomickustom

Looking good so far. I will be following closely to see how you deal with things as they pop up. Keep up the good work.

23. I love chopped hardtops!

24. atomickustom

atomickustom

Me too, but I don't really understand how it all works which is why I'm looking forward to a lot of updates on this one!

25. Please do whatever it takes to retain the stock wraparound rear glass. That looks so much better than putting in a small rear window.

Mick

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  26. Torchie

Torchie

Pics can be decieving.
    The one you showed with the body filler roughed in looks good.
    The profile of the the side with out the filler not so good.
    If you can step back and take a profile pic of the side with the filler it might give us a better idea.
    Keep at it your doing fine.
    Torchie.

27. While it may look good with a chop, I don't see how you can call that first generation hardtop style ugly. I always thought it was the best looking and only style top I would want on one of that year.
    I hope you keep the original shape with the chop, then it will be awesome.

juuraslahti and F-ONE like this.
  28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just me, but it would be nice if you could move the rear side window opening back slightly towards the rear light, just makes the 1/4 windows larger. Love the transformation so far.

29. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Alright guys, been stewing over this all night last night and all day today. I'm not happy with the shape of the rear window. After looking at the Larry Ernst car again, I've decided the glass needs to be changed. I've read that you can buy repo glass that can be cut, is that correct? Is there absolutely no way I can cut the glass that's there with Sandblasting or something?
    And don't worry, I will be keeping the wrap around glass. Doing it any other way is cheating in my opinion.

30. El Pratt

El Pratt

You can get replacement glass for your Chevy from JR Distributor International in Ontario, CA phone number 909 460-9588. They make, (or sell), glass for just about anything you can imagine and most is laminate so it can be cut. The part numbers you need are DB 148, DB 149, and DB 150. They are a wholesaler so you may have to jump through a few hoops to buy from them. Their name would suggest that they ship internationally. The chop is looking good, I'm glad you are planning on keeping the wrap around glass.
    Lee

Eric H likes this.