Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy front axle solutions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eharnden, Nov 29, 2008.

1. eharnden

eharnden

Has anyone ever made a bracket for a 1930's chevy front axle that sits where the leaf springs are connected and used a ford spring and wishbones. looking at my truck the other day i thought this might work. Any other ideas?

2. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

I like your avatar

3. No but I modified my axle and made brackets to mount it above the dual Chevy springs.

[​IMG]

4. eharnden

eharnden

thanks kerry, but we thought that that would give us clearence problems. how is the clearence for yours.

5. I did re-arch the front springs some and reworked the front crossmember. It sit's right, even with the hemi, and rides right as well.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I saw an A coupe at a small car cruise a couple years ago that used what looked like a mid '60s Chevy van front axle with the setup you describe, using homemade transverse spring perches bolted to the original spring mounting pads on the axle.

7. eharnden

eharnden

thanks for the input but i think we are going to have the stock axle dropped and see where that puts us.

Eric

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere I have photos (not digital) of a couple of rods that a guy (family) in Cle Elum Wa has built using a parallel leaf axle with a cross leaf spring. He built batwings that bolt to the axle.
    I'll see if I can dig out and scan the photos when I get home.