Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy engine year help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3quarter32, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I have a remanufactured chevy crate engine. I know by the numbers that it is a 350 made in Mexico. Trying to find out the year in which it was mfgd. It does not seem to have the standard date codes that I have read about.
    On the top center portion of the flywheel housing there are 2ea clocks, then a 02. Does this mean anything about build dates?
    Thanks,

2. squirrel

squirrel

Pictures?

Also what is the stamped number on the front? On US engines that gives the month and day, you could see if that date is similar to the clocks.

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I will have to go to shop at take a picture. The number on the flat machine spot behind waterpump is IM0925 3VP.
    Lee

4. squirrel

squirrel

The stampe number indicates it was assembled Sept 25th. Usually the castings sit around for a little while before they're machined and assembled, anywhere from a day to a few weeks.

5. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Thanks Jim. Here are a few pics of the #s.

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know....

I did see a few things on the internet about the 3VP engines being from the early-mid 2000s. 02 might be the year....or it might not.

I don't get the clocks.

7. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Thanks again Jim. Only thing that I know for sure is that it was purchased in 05 for a box van truck. The truck was totaled about 2000 miles later, but engine was unhurt. I was told the year would be handy to know to get the right flex plate for it.
    Appreciate the help, Lee

8. squirrel

squirrel

heh....the only thing you need to know about the engine to get the right flexplate is if it's a one piece or two piece rear seal. The one piece has the seal right there where you can see it, the two piece has a flange on the crank and you can't see the seal. 86 and older were two piece, 87 and newer were one piece, on production engines. The replacement engines could be either way, depending on which one it was made to replace. The wrong flexplate won't bolt on, so don't worry too much about it, just get the one for the right era 350 and you should be fine

9. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
    LEe