Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 8 in a 56 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Docfranknstein, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

My six banger has become a 4 because of a couple bad vavles, it never had the beans to pull around Me and the lab ratts anyhow , so I have a nice Chevy 8 ( no whines about using a Chevy I allready have it and and it runs good so I'm gonna run it) but the 56 Ford frame is not the best fit . I'm thinkin front sump pan from a Nova, anyone done this lately?? Von Doc

2. Plowboy

Plowboy

Could this be the man, the legend, the real Doc Frankenstein back on the HAMB?

Too cool! I wish I had the answer for you, but until then, how about some pics of some of your top secret projects?

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Nova pan will make that swap a breeze. The Chevy small block isn't to different in outside dimensions to the Y block to make this really tough, so by using the Nova pan, it should fit like it was a factory install. You should also be able to extend brackets off of the front crossmember to the side mounts of the Chevy, assuming you're using a '58 or later block. Shouldn't be bad at all.

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

IIRC the '55 & '56 Fords had a vertical plate the upper a-arm bolts to that can be a pain in the ass too as the front exhaust needed to be upswept vs. downswept.

5. prime mover

prime mover

I'd look around on the web at some of the streetrod catalogs I bet they sell everything to do it like the mounts and they could tell you what pan to use.

6. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Plowboy , it's really Me or atleast I think it is, long time no yakk man they keep Me busy here ffixin tires pumpin gas and cleanin a windshield or two ( ie leg shoooooow when some of the ladys drrop in ) . I will try and post some pix of some of the stuff I'm workin on later to-nite. 57Joe , yeah the Nova pan sounds like the deal , guess I'll find out. oldcarfart I'll check the ext out I'm gonna run lake pipes un-corked as My ext hope to use stock Chev manifolds. Prrrimemover where were You Sat? We all whent to Greaser Franks house, thought You would have been there. Any one else here done a Chevy in 56 Ford? Von Doc

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

You could always use the Speedway SBC mount. I think it's around $60 or so, but it would take alot of the "engineering" guess work out of it. IT might also be a suitable replacement for the crossmember that is requiring the Nova pan, so you might be able to cut that crossmember out and run a regular pan, but I don't know for sure.

8. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

My God, Ford engines bolt right into these cars, like they were made for it (which of course they were). Why not use one and keep it a thoroughbred???

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

I put a chebby in my 56 ranch wagon and used the nova oil pan also used the ram horn manifolds that sweep back. I used the donut type motor mounts. The only problem you will have is if you ever have to sell it. IT WONT SELL with a CHEVY in it. I know I gave mine away.

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

And you dont have to put up with this crap !!!

11. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Awe c'mon Dirty2 admit it, half the fun of sticking a Chevy motor in every Ford ever built is hearing the Ford guys moan, right?

12. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

"Built Ford Tough" with Chevy Stuff??? You're not trying to get a rise out of guys like me?

13. Dirty2

Dirty2

Are you bringing the FORD to the H.A.M.B. drags ?????

14. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Ooh you got me! You win, you know I could never beat you with a dang'ed old Ford. But if I was dumb enough to try just what would I have to beat???

15. prime mover

prime mover

nobody called me I was in littlerock all day too, me and the father-in-law picked up a chevy ramp truck from desertratrodders place.

16. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

The crossmember is an attachment point for the lower a-arms thus non removable, unless a was changing front ends and doing a clip or sub frame of some sort , but I'm don't wanna, sides this thing goes straight and drives o-kay, so all I'm gonna change is drive train, I can make motor mounts , headers if need be , and I can cut up the pan thus makin it a front sump like a nova, just thought I would ask if others had done it too, looks like it should go fairly easy. I don't care about resale so Chevy in Ford Or Hemi in Chevy like My truck don't bother Me. Von Doc

17. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I thought Frank would have let You know, or Michelle , so She tells Me she is in a female doo-wop group, We gotta have them come up and sing at or show in Sept, along with Rocksville. Von Doc

18. Gracie

Gracie

so you could TRADE the Chevy mill for a FORD one and put IT in your 56 FORD... then all would be right in the World...