Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 5 lug hub conversion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Primer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Black Primer

Black Primer

Hey guys, Please excuse my ignorance on this... I'm converting my 40 chev pickup 6 lug hubs to 5. I have 51 car hubs and 55 truck backing plates. I need to replace the wheel bearings. Here's where I have questions, it appears the wheel bearings are the same??? If so why are the 40 truck bearings $250, and the 51 car bearings $185?. Both are rollers and from the same place. Am I missing an important detail here somewhere? Thanks, Jeff

2. Black Primer

Black Primer

3. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know, I use ball bearings...

are the inner bearing inner race inside diameters the same? they changed sometime between the mid 30s and early 50s, but I don't know when

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

YIkes! Them prices are way out of line. Try this guy.

Olcar Bearing Company
    455 Lakes Edge Drive
    Oxford, MI 48371
    810/969-2628 FAX:810/628-7879

5. chubbie

chubbie

use brake drum assembly off of a '50-'54 car...look over the used bearings, wash them.. pack full. get new seals, put it together tight'n the nut. spin the brake drum to feel the tension as you tight'n....now back off 1/4 turn replace the key. i never run "ball bearings" tight... total cost?????

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thanks squirrel, The inner races have the same numbers. I don't have the inner bearing center for the 51 hubs. (not sure what they are called...the part that fits on the spindle). The 40 inner collar fits the same in the 51 bearing. I have it mocked up like this now. I just don't want to F%** it up.
    Maybe I should just replace the ball bearings.

7. Black Primer

Black Primer

chubbie, my drums and hubs are from a 51 car. Some of the bearing parts were missing when I got them, so they will have to be replaced.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 54 hubs, drums and backing plates on my 48. you have to drill two holes in the backing plate to match the holes in the spindle and make some spacers for either the top or bottom to make it work, at least on the 48/54 axles.
    Once you put the backing plates on it will be somewhat self explanatory.
    You will have to buy new grade 8 bolts for the side that needs the spacers.