Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 4 Door Conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CaliChevyV8, Feb 20, 2019.

1. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Has anyone ever seen or done a conversion of a 4 door/7 window to a 2 door/5 window? Weld the rear door shut, remove the separator between each of the 2 rear windows to connect the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

search feature is your friend. and the car is ??

3. Some like the 55-57Chevy are fairly easy since they share the basic body.Get doors from a 2 door,move the post,and use the back door skin to build the front of the quarter panel.As long as the two cars share the same roof line it should be do able.If the roof is longer it may not work,or be a lot more work ,and end up with a car that doesnt look quite right.

Vanness likes this.
  4. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

5. I think you could build a sharp rod from a 4 door in those years.Do suicide doors to be different.To make a conversion look right you really need a donor 2 door.The front doors on a 4dr are shorter than a 2door so you would need those to look right.What you do with the body behind the front door depends on how good you are with a MIG/TIG.

6. I havent , but thinking about it !!! 20181008_112448.jpg

6inarow, Latigo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. junkman8888

junkman8888

Weld the rear doors shut, fill in the rear and quarter windows, turn it into a sedan delivery. And yes, building the sedan delivery door would be the hard part.

8. Here us one done by tb33anda3rd nice chop nice car , 34chevylg.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. I was going to cut up and part out that 4dr till I seen those 2 cars !!!
    Still might cut it up though , but have choices now

'Mo likes this.
  10. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

I’ll see if I can mess around with wood removers picture on windows paint to get an idea of my vision

11. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

12. Squablow

Squablow

I've done a bunch of 2 door conversions. What you're describing could be done, it'll end up looking like a station wagon or fueneral coach, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but keep in mind a 2 door sedan has much longer doors than the front doors on a 4 door sedan, so the proportions will be a lot different.

13. Just as Squablow said, the main problem you will have is the four door front door length is shorter than the two door front doors. It will always look like a 4 door with the rear doors welded shut.

14. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Here’s what I’m thinking, think it looks pretty damn good. Proportions are definitely different but once it’s chopped a bit and all done up should look right 33-2.jpg

15. dwollam

dwollam

CalichevyV8 I think that looks pretty good! Might look a touch better with the rear side windows filled in as a sedan delivery. I had to go back and look at the 4dr version to realize the front doors were still the short 4dr length.

Dave

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One more vote for a sedan delivery. That looks pretty good.

Mark Grabo likes this.
  17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the body bows front to rear, you will need a bunch of body work to get the "arm rest" area to look right...
    the glass must be flat...
    but a steel panel could be formed to match the body's bow...
    lay a straight edge against the lower window, it should show you the amount of bow...
    I feel that half way back the arm rest's surface will be way to wide... my $0.02...

18. I really like the 32 ford 4 dr chopped with no center post between the doors . red car

19. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

20. I once owned a 51 chevy sedan delivery. and the doors on it where short . the very same as 4 door sedan doors.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. I bought the car site unseen ,for parts !!!
    Ad said get it out of my garage,I want it gone !!! No pictures , said I will take it ,went and got it ..
    Car is way to nice to chop up ,but is worth more in parts than what I can sell it for ??
    I dont really want another project !!!
    Ton of nos parts came with it .
    I am building a 33 3window and always on the look out for better stuff than what I have ...
    20150811_215417.jpg

classiccarjack and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. junkman8888

junkman8888

I'm not done yet: You could cut the roof off and make a Carson topped tub, or move the rear part of the roof forward and turn it into an extended-cab pickup, or build a Ute....And yes, I'm off my meds.

23. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Just had our new addition to the family, first baby boy last week. I like the delivery idea but I really want the long window for the backseat. I know the short door and long window won’t look typical but I like a little bit of funk here and there in a car.

24. I was thinking tub as well
    find a roadster windshield and frame
    and do away with all the glass

25. I once bought a 31 dodge ex-4 door..........[[/ATTACH]
    And I once had this 37 Pontiac 4 door. I sketched it out with welded up back doors and a panel in the rear and 1/4 windows. 31doodge.jpg 37pontiac.jpg 37Pontiacart.jpg

RMR&C and harpo1313 like this.
  26. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

King ford likes this.
  27. junkman8888

junkman8888

Apparently I'm not the only one off my meds.

28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i like being off my meds!:confused:o_O:eek:

King ford and classiccarjack like this.
  29. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I know where there is a sedan delivery rear door for that.