Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy 3speed shifter location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Primer, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Black Primer

Black Primer

Hey guys, I'm thinking of a 3 spd for my 40 chevy truck. Looking at the trans and shifter location ,I know it is mounted near the end of the tailshaft. This will put the shifter in the middle of the seat:confused:. Is there a different way to mount the shifter forward on the transmission? I looked at JEGS and Summit, but didn't find anything. I believe the trans is a Saginaw. Any ideas will be appreciated.....

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

what shifter are you using ? hurst lets you mount in 3 different places

Attached Files:

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thanks for the picture, Not sure what shifter is on it now. Your set-up looks like it will work. Are all Hurst shifters like this?

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well thats an old one,,the hardware is Syncro - loc 3 speed.. and its using a Mystery shifter..The Mystery Shifter brackets are a bit shorter and ten to mount shifter further forward.. Heres the Syncro-loc set up

The Hurst Indy Shifters and the like are NOTHING like this,,and are junk and should be avoided

Attached Files:

• CV55.jpg
      CV55.jpg
      File size:
      520.3 KB
      Views:

5. chubbie

chubbie

I had the same problem w/model a, shifter under the right leg!! I looked at a lot differnt things, to get the shifter in the center of the floor..I have "new old stock hurst shifters in the box" simple bracket redo to move the shifter forword also moves shifter closer to the leg.......I made my own shifter from a '76 vega. these GM shifters mounted on the tunnel not the trans, and in the center....so.. the "ears" are built to the left to line up w/ gear box...very simple brackets mount to the trans,mounting far forward as possible!!!! shorten/rebend rods!! now weld/ drill/ cut 2 hole bracket to hold hurst handle.. add a little "spring" to hold shifter to the right...WORKS!!!!! total cost..nothing

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

Is the syncro-loc hardware still available? I'm not really "up" on shifters ,as on my last one I wimped out and used a turbo 350.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

They 'may' still have it,,if not look on ebay lots of used ones,,I have 1 used set up if you decide to go that route

Hurst actually made a tunnel mount,,interesting looking animal

[​IMG]

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have one on my sag 4 speed that is mounted just behind the case, I was told it is stock for a 66 gto/lemans. All I know is it sits perfect. I will also add the top mounted t5 shifter was even more perfect in my car.

9. Black Primer

Black Primer

I see Jegs lists a Indy SSA universal 3spd shifter, part # 530-501-0002 with adjustable stick positions. Is one to be avoided?

10. Snarl

Snarl

Get a used Synchro-loc off Ebay and make your own bracket...