Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529

2. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Join us at classicpartstalk, we'll answer most any question you may have.

3. Coach529

Coach529

Two steps forward, 1 step back.
    I fabbed a alternator mount of the old generator mount and used a 43" fan belt. Got is all mounted up. Turns out the water pump that was sitting in the bac of the truck leaks too. :mad: So close.

Bought a new 12V battery and some headlights at Walmart. Picked up a 12V coil with an internal resister at Napa. Bolted it all. I figured since the fan switch was off the motor would be safe.......guess not. The fan runs all the time......and it only took minutes at 12v to smoke it.:mad:

I did find this awesome GMC while chasing roosters today though......I need to find the owner and see if I can buy the visor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jonny-Memphis

Jonny-Memphis
    from Uk

Hey buddy

Thanks for response , it was actually a friend of mine that found the truck and he shipped it , so as for costs I'm unsure . . . . I'm trying to get some pics together to put up here ,

I am currently bidding on a v8 a Chevy 265 v8 to drop in her as the original straight 6 235 is ceased and gone beyond saving I believe :-( ,

I have a few questions what should I be looking out for as potential problems with the v8 it's a 265 v8 with power glide transmission ,

Also where and how easy / what's the cost of disc brake conversion ?

What's a good powersteering unit to use for a simple and easy conversion ?

Is they're a car or truck about like a modern equivalent which has axles etc that would fit straight on to this truck (49 3600) as a friend said a camaro all the bits would go straight across axles everything , is they're anything that the bits would come off and fit straight onto my truck ?

Regards

Jonny ,

5. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

amazing how the clr cleaned up the truck,looks real nice
    heard of rock auto but never bought from them,what did they get for
    the master shipped to you? good luck

6. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

210sedan, Rock Auto is a great place. Surprising what they offer. Go on line and find availablity and prices. coach529, I can't believe how great the wood and metal strips are in the bed. I thought my wood in my 47 Dodge was good after the original owner always coated them with motor oil.

7. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I apologize for not reading every entry so I don't know if anyone has sent you THIS link, but you DON'T have to swap out rearends.

Contact Patrick's in Arizona. He offers 3.38:1 and 3.55:1 ring & pinion sets for your stock rear end.

They sell a bunch of other cool stuff for the AD trucks as well. Hopes this helps:

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/index.htm

P.S. Nice truck and the CLR wash did absolute wonders for it!

8. AntiBling

AntiBling

Just stumbling upon this, I grew up in Pingree and up until 5 years ago lived there. Looking at your pics, it looks like you might live on the same block as my aunt and uncle. I also have a 49 Chevy 3600. If you get rid of one of those visors let me know, I'd be interested.

Personally I wouldn't invest too much into that 216, if you watch Fargo craigslist you can come across a newer full pressure 235 for cheap. I'm building a 261 for my 54 and will be replacing that as well. If you need parts I might have some, I'll be making a run to Jamestown this weekend.

Nice truck there, doesn't like you're too far off from driving it. You say daily driver, will you be driving it during the winter there?

9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

This last photo is just beautiful! May I make some suggestions? I've done some of the same things you're doing on my '55 big window half ton.

CLR wash the inside of that bed if you haven't already. After it's truly good dry&, wipe it down with acetone, dry again and use some rattle can satin clear to slow down the rust coming back. I used a $15 Harbor Freight angle grinder & cheap cutting wheel to cut off the bedstrip bolts. I sanded and repainted my bedstrips with Rustoleum hammered gray but I will probably redo them in gloss black. My wood was totally shot but yours looks good and useable. I'd sand yours and use a boat quality UV resistant polyurethane on it. But you might like the patina, if so just degrease with Simple Green and clear it or use a good wood oil finish like Watco. Last, install with clean new carriage bolts. Stainless if you never want rust again.

10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Oh and give that big ole girl some shiny shoes! Sand and rattle can those big rims with some off white and put some ribbed beauty rings on her.

Ok, I'll shut up now!!! lol.

11. Coach529

Coach529

Small world.

I live in the SE part of Jamestown.

So far I have not stuck much into the 216. Carb kit and a water pump. It runs great, but I still plan on replacing it at some point and probably adding a T5.

Daily driver, sort of......but summer only. I am an electrician and have a company truck to get to and from work daily. This truck will mainly be used as a kid hauler and errand runner.

I just checked out your facebook page......great photo's!!

12. Coach529

Coach529

Patrick's only offers the gear sts for the 1/2 ton trucks. This is a 3/4 ton.

13. Coach529

Coach529

The plan right now is to just clean it up and give it a coat of boiled linseed oil to protect it. Eventually I wl clean up the rails and replae all the bolts, but honestly it is fairly far down on the priority list.

14. Coach529

Coach529

Tha is the next thing I am looking for. I need some 8 bolt steel wheels. The stockers are split rims and the local tire guys will not touch em.

I have all the stock hub caps in great shape.

Thinking wide white if I can afford em.

15. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Cool truck and great thread! Subscribed.

16. Coach529

Coach529

Unfortunately not much forward progress has happened lately.

Fuel tank is at the radiator shop getting boiled and sealed.

Fuel level sending unit, 12V heater fan and some other misc parts are ordered.

The muffler and tail pipe were GONE on this truck, long ago. I was able to cut the pipe back a bit and find some solid material and mount up a cheap $50 Napa muffler. This should keep the neighbors happy. It is mounted a bit further foward that I had hoped, but it is world better than before.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

17. If you are changing the front over to half ton why would you want to retain a 3/4 ton rear. The rear out of an '80s Trans Am or Camero is almost a bolt (you have to move the spring pads), they are cheap as a rule and you have plenty of gear selections for them. Then just change the front over to 5 bolt and you are golden.

The raven has that setup with 4 wheels discs on his '54 AD and loves it. He is running a 5" drop axle up front as I recall.

18. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Did a 54 3600. Just cut the trees out of the back and painted it(almost)
    Still using it as a farm market truck. Gets plenty of attention
    j

19. Coach529

Coach529

That is likely what will end up with..........

20. Coach529

Coach529

As a side gig my wife and I build custom furniture and do some refinishing. I though you guys might like to see this.

1961 GMC tailgate made into a bench.

[​IMG]

21. Easy peezy. He's been running his that way for 8 years give or take. Bolted a set of '57 Chevy wheels on it and dog dish humcaps and no one is the wiser.

22. bake_em

bake_em

Truck looks in great shape for her age coach529!!! I also have a 49 3600 I got off afarm it had been sitting for 30 years and after a new clutch, radiator, fuel pump got it running. it is all original except I replaced the widow maker split rims with steel 8 lug 16s off a 80s chev and put car tires on them. I removed 4 of the leaf springs on all 4corners to lower it quick and free. Replaced plugs, wires, coil, new fuel lines and filters and carb kit then just bled the brakes and put a keg fuel cell in the bed. I ve been driving it this way with no problems besides some pretty bad bump steer. I have 1/2 ton straight axle and was going to get speedways bolt on disk kit. Then I got a 68 nova rearend and a s10 t5 I was planinng on doing. Its fun driving it the way it is even though the granny 4spd and 456 in the rear limit it to around 50. I beat around town banging gears and gets alot of looks. 216 with straight pipes not too loud.

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Damn. Here I thought I was going to be the big hero for finding you that link, lol.

24. Coach529

Coach529

That is awesome..... how much did it lower it when you removed the leaves?

I have a 1/2 ton axle out of a 1949 I was thinking of having SID lower 3 or 4 inches.

25. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks for the help anyway!!

26. bake_em

bake_em

Im not exactly sure, I didnt measure before hand but I would say 3 in the front and 4 in the back.. The springs are arched the opposite of how they should be, its not the way to do it and probablly unsafe but...its lower:D I believe you got it figured out, the drop axle from sids and maybe 2 leafs out of the front and disk brake kit. And t5 and diffrent axle with the springs underneath it would be the way to go for better driveabillity. and a nova or camaro rearend would give u the same 5 3/4 bolt patern al around and give u plenty of options for wheels.

27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Ha ha, you're welcome. I really like your truck. But hell, I like old things in general and I like old trucks maybe most of all.

How's your steering wheel? All cracked, as typical? You probably know this trick already but I ground out the cracks on my '55's wheel with a Dremel tool (a file works fine too). Mixed up some JB Weld and built up multiple layers til it was ready to hand and paint. I used Rustoleum primer and gloss black. It's only a weekend Home Depot driver and the paint has actually held up real well. FYI, A lot of guys say to use that JB Quik putty stuff. I tried it and it didn't stick well for me.

28. bake_em

bake_em

Attached Files:

29. Coach529

Coach529

Nice looking truck and stance.

30. Coach529

Coach529