Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coach529, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Hey you said you adjusted the steering box. Did you do it per the shop manual or what? I need to do that too but haven't walked through the directions in the shop manual. They seem like it would be something easy once you've done it before.

2. Coach529

Coach529

Unfortunately I did not adjust it, a buddy did. I think it is pretty straight forward. Loosen lock nut, tighten adjustment screw until it bottoms out and then back off 1/2 turn. Tighten adjustment screw is how he explained it to me.

3. Coach529

Coach529

Henry is still alive and living a life of leisure. Daily cruises to haul the kids around, or a milk run.

Hangs out on the curb sometimes and attracts all sorts of attention!!

[​IMG]

A lot of changes over the past 60 years. 1949 vs 2009

[​IMG]

I was haulin broken up concrete to a local pit and spied this out of the corner of my eye. Hmmm......next project? Maybe.

[​IMG]

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

5. Coach529

Coach529

Definitely going to make a phone call and see if he is receptive to selling.

6. AntiBling

AntiBling

Actually, I'm working there this month, hands off! I was going to ask him about cause I could use those running boards for my truck.

7. hemiboy

hemiboy

Try some 10-speed type bicycle tubes on the chains- helps dull the rattling. Of course, then there will be another noise to take it's place.......

8. Coach529

Coach529

Did you ever ask him about it?

9. AntiBling

AntiBling

Not yet, I've been coming and going with moving, and working nights and weekends there so I don't see him too often. I'll be back there next week after I close on my shop Monday.

10. Coach529

Coach529

I was there multiple times today picking up some sand, but he was never around.

11. Coach529

Coach529

Got some stripes layed down on Henry yesterday. Looks freaking awesome!! Very pleased with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cosmo49 likes this.
  12. 4444Design

4444Design

the stripes are comin' around pretty cool

13. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Diggin the stripes, Mike! :cool:

14. Coach529

Coach529

Thanks!!

I am so pumped on how it turned out. Joel did a great job.

15. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

A very nice touch:cool:

16. irace2win41

irace2win41

Your build gives me hope and direction for my 51 3600. Love the look on your son's face. That says it all!!!

Rod

17. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

You coming to Goodguys? Look me up.

18. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Great story. Subscribed. BTW, ever get any resolution on the drivetrain "buzz" over 50mph?
    Got the same issue with my DD '51 Fleetline. Still running the torquetube and stock 3-speed behind a rebuilt 216.. Just curious.

19. Found and read it all in a couple nights. Cool build, good looking truck.

20. briancortez2112

briancortez2112
    from LA

Awesome build man! Cant wait to start mine!

21. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man I've really enjoyed this thread and your truck looks absolutely awesome! Best to you and yours!

22. svn2hd

svn2hd
    from california

Awesome build! Really informative. Already swapped front axle and waiting for disc kit. Hoping to do business with Sid soon. Meantime researching rear end swap. 'OlChevy has me thinking about a IRS, nice but way way way beyond my skills and tools availability. I was looking at a 2003 trailblazer rear axle, 62" track width, with disc brakes, and springs, $350. Still need to see in person and bring measurments and imagination. I want to make sure i have same 5x4.75 lug pattern for wheels. I will be ordering the same cragar wheels you put on Henry. They look AWESOME! I was thinking of extreme c-notch in rear in case i have future desire to slam to the ground, dont really want wheel wells in bed but its either that or the bed will be really shallow. My truck also has a really tired 235 and a turbo 350 tranny (craigslist special, traded my kids jumphouse, shhhhh!). Been working on mine for over five years, it is literally the never ending story. I too will not shorten bed nor will i consider a s10 frame swap. Bed is nice and frame is nice.

Attached Files:

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I like the long bed, I can put more crap in it! Loaded it up for Autofair tomorrow.

24. svn2hd

svn2hd
    from california

Just got front disc kit and am having a hell of a time trying to place the clips anti rattle and a small square. Any help? Thanks

[​IMG]

25. squirrel

squirrel

The big one clips on the back of the pad, and the longer tab pokes into the caliper piston. I don't know about the small one.

26. Coach529

Coach529

About time to update this thread. I just completed a 350/350 conversion in Henry over the past 2 months!!

27. Coach529

Coach529

Henry's is getting a new motor and tranny. Picked up a low mileage 350/ TH350 combo and it is going in asap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stock 3600 tranny cross member will need to be removed and a new one for the 350 will need to be bought or fabbed.

I picked up some biscuit engine mounts already. I have a shinny new 4 barrel carb and intake sitting on the bench. Hugger heads are on the way.

Studebakermatt likes this.
  28. Coach529

Coach529

I was able to sneak away from work for a 1/2 day today. Was able to get the drive shaft and torque tube disconnected form the tranny. The unbolted the front motor mounts and some misc stuff that was in the way.

Then out came the motor and tranny. Wow.......that is heavy!!

My son and I must have scraped 25lbs of crap off the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then hit it with some heavy degreaser and the pressure washer!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the SBC as well.

[​IMG]

29. Coach529

Coach529

Awesome progress today.

Bolted the TH350 to the SBC along with the headers and dropped it into Henry to get a test fit and mock up motor mounts and transmission crossmember.

Went fairly smooth considering I was working solo.

[​IMG]

Chassis Engineering Inc motor mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to pull it all out and do the final welding, then paint!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Coach529

Coach529

So after thinking about it for the night.....I decided to offset the motor to the passenger side to allow room for the steering box. I had briefly thought about PS......but decided against it for a number of reasons.

So I spent the better part of a day taking apart what I had completed and making room for the steering box.

[​IMG]

The passenger side mount had to be shortened and recessed into the frame rail. The driver side was pulled out of the frame rail.

[​IMG]

I used some 1/4-20 bolts to hold everything in place while I pulled the motor and to use them as a reference upon assembly.

[​IMG]

I was not happy with the initial welds on the drivers side mount, so I boxed it all in. Overkill.....but I will sleep better at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the motor mounts were done....I spaced out the steering box by 1-1/2" with some angle iron and some dom tubing.

[​IMG]

The motor has been opened up and looks great. I am going to button it back up, throw a coat of paint on it and call it good.

[​IMG]

The punch list is getting smaller!!!