Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 327 Engine Number Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rozzi, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Rozzi

Rozzi

I had a question about a number on a 327 I recently picked up and was hoping someone could clue me into what it meant (if anything).

I found the engine ID number on the passenger side. It was stamped/engraved "T0604S". From what I have read online, this number shows it was built in the Tonawanda plant on June 4th. The "S" denotes it as a 1962 250hp 327 with a powerglide and was used in the full sized passenger cars (Impala, Bel Air and Biscayne) The block casting number is 3782870, which coincides with the 1962 date. The engine is still in the car, so I am unable to get a good look at the block date code though.

My question is in regards to a number that is cast (not stamped/engraved) below the block casting number. I have attached a photo of where it is located on the block.
    The red circle is where that number is.
    Chev_block_codes.jpg

The number cast is "E2063" with what looks like a deliberately hand scratched letter "D" after it. The "3" in the E2063 could be an 8 or some sort of sideways heart shape. I can't quite clean it enough to get a good enough look at it. I was curious if this number means anything? I haven't been able to track down any information on it, nor come across a photo showing a number in that place. Thanks!

2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

That's the casting date...its May 20th of 1963. Evidently they used that same block and casting number from 1962 to 65...the S code in the stamped pad area for 1963 is probably same application as 1962..never seen a hand scratched letter after the casting date but possibly D stands for Day shift?

3. Rozzi

Rozzi

Thanks for the reply and the additional information. I appreciate it!

4. squirrel

squirrel

also the S code was used from 62-64, so the casting date confirms it's a 1963 engine, not 62 or 64.

5. Rozzi

Rozzi

Thanks for the clarification Squirrel. I found the "S" designation online, which only mentioned the 1962 date. No site I could find gave a 62-64 range for the "S". I was wondering how that worked with a 63 dated block! Thanks again. That helped out a lot.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The internet has some information, but not all...it helps to have books, if you want to find more answers.

oh yeah...there is info about the engine codes for those year Chevys at the GM historical site, it's a bit hard to find...you have to down load pdfs and look through them. But it is there.